So bored of everything we eat. Please inspire me!

(205 Posts)

I'm veggie, dp and dds are now meat eaters but since I do most of the shopping (online), meal planning and cooking (though dp is v good at doing prep etc) we eat veggie 99% of the time at home.

I tend to do lots of curries, chillis etc but we're all getting a bit bored of them tbh. It's also hard because dd1 won't eat anything in a creamy/cheesy sauce and I won't eat anything with tinned tomatoes, so that rules out a lot of pasta dishes for example.

Please inspire me!

Any good recipes with tofu maybe? Or something Thai-esqu? Or something with sweet potatoes which isn't a curry or a chilli? Or an exciting pie of some sort?

liveinazoo Fri 21-Jun-13 17:11:10

this has been great thread for ideas!
dd2 hates tinned tomatoes with a passion and ds cant stomach quorn/tvp etc
anyway,dd2 will eat nigellas sicilian pasta<i cant link to save mylife,sorry.its a kinda pesto using fresh tomatoes,sultanas,nuts<we leave out teh anchovies!>

more a wintery vibe but root veggies cooked then put dish with a little stock<use herbs/spices to flavour>add chickpeas and top with breadcrumbs and grated cheese or chopped nuts

i cant remember who posted the original idea on previos thread but enchiladas using sweet potatoes and any mix root veg,cook and lightly crushed with garlic,thyme and chickpeas.add to wraps,roll up and sprinkle with a little cheese<my dd would revolt if a tomato saue was added so this was a hit for us!>

tinned mix beans rinsed and toss in pesto,add sliced avocado.serve with couscous/rice/quinoa

lentil and ginger stew<again abit wintery>onions,carrots and cooked lentils with grated ginger and coconut milk.add spinach near the end and serve with rice and a sprinkle flaked almonds

roasted veg,cooked and cooled.roll pizza dough thinly into circles<i use a packet mix if in a hurry>top veg and a little cheesefold in half and bake<think pasty shape,taste like pizza>a spoonful pesto in there instead of cheese if kids arent keen cheese

dcs are growling for dinner.if i think of anything else will pop back tmoorrow.hope somehing there that helps!

HuevosRancheros Tue 11-Jun-13 20:49:44

(Reason it specifies 'value pasta' is because it was from a 'feed your family for a fiver' thread, so costs were being kept down)

HuevosRancheros Tue 11-Jun-13 20:47:27

Oh, and there's this, which I got from StressedHEMum on here:

Slow cabbage with pasta

1 onion, chopped
some garlic
1 tblspn smoked paprika
1 head cabbage, finely shredded
1 carton sour cream
1 bag value pasta
oil and butter
salt and pepper

Fry onion and garlic in some oil and butter until soft. Add Paprika and stir about. Add cabbage and stir until coated with oil and beginning to wilt. Season. Reduce heat to very low and cover well. Cook for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Boil pasta. While pasta is cooking Add sour cream to cabbage and mix well. Add a splash of pasta cooking water to make it a bit looser. Drain pasta and stir into cabbage. serve immediately.

Absolutely divine, so much better than it sounds smile

Yum. I love broad beans - no bugger else will eat them though!sad
They all LOVE sprouts though. smile

HuevosRancheros Tue 11-Jun-13 07:40:57

Oh, and I love to make this quinoa and broadbean salad, usually add a few extra bits to it, whatever I feel like at the time! But quinoa is quite high protein, so feels like "more than a salad", if you know what I mean.

HuevosRancheros Tue 11-Jun-13 07:32:55

Another Plenty recommendation here, I love this, the best thing ever to do with sprouts!

Bread and wine - do you make or buy your haggis? We had one at Christmas from Sainsbo's and it was lovely but they've not stocked it since. The dds really liked it too. Waitrose do one but it's expensive for the size of it.

Sam Stern - have got all of his but they are v basic and they drive me a bit mad, as I'm sure his mum wrote them. No teenager I have ever met uses language the way that book does. It's all a bit cringe-making. BUT they are good books for getting dc cooking, which is why we bought them.

World Food Cafe - I have both of these and like them a lot (although too many flipping aubergines for my liking!).

I can see I'm going to have to get Plenty though!

Thanks for the barbecue ideas too - I don't barbecue but those ideas would work in the oven/grill too.

Breadandwine Sun 09-Jun-13 19:46:55

I think what you meant to say, vintage, was, 'This may be a bit insensitive - but I'm going to say it anyway!'

Bored? I don't think so! We have a roast dinner every Sunday - with my wife having chicken every week. I can think of about 8 different foods that I have with my roasties (with variations) - risotto stuffed tomatoes, stuffed mushrooms, haggis (both of those en croute sometimes), nut roast, seitan - and, very occasionally, fake gammon or turkey, etc.

I think all of us on here would urge you to think hard about becoming veggie - for the sake of your health and the environment. But until you do, I would respectfully ask you to post elsewhere.

bessie26 Sun 09-Jun-13 19:20:21

Oh yes, Ottolenghi's recipes are wonderful - you can find some of them on the guardian website

LoveSewingBee Sun 09-Jun-13 10:03:20

High levels of antibiotic resistant bacteria usually found in animals who have been given antibiotics have been found both in organic and non-organic meat.

Mind you, fruit and veg are problematic too sad with high levels of pesticides in strawberries, apples and peaches for example.

LoveSewingBee Sun 09-Jun-13 09:26:47

Do you like to barbecue?
Once the barbecue start to get going, eg no flames, I put baking potatoes wrapped in aluminium foil in to give them a headstart.

I like to make skewers with courgette, tomato, mushroom, red peppers, green peppers, yellow peppers, Aubergines and sun dried tomatoes etc. You can marinate the veg, especially Aubergines first with some olive oil, lemon and herbs like thyme or garlic.

Serve with yogurt/mayonaise/garlic and tomato ketchup and a chilli dip.

One of the other posters mentioned free range meat, but unfortunately even free range chicken and beef have now been found to contain high levels of antibiotics. The food chain has been so mucked about with in pursuit of faster and higher profits sad.

Fish is not necessarily healthier either due to chemical pollution.

overthehill Sat 08-Jun-13 23:56:48

I use Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty a lot and it's great, and not too faffy - and you can always substitute an obscure ingredient with something similar. Also Sam Stern does some good books that my dc's particularly like, with the most obvious being his Eat Vegetarian, and I also use World Food Café 2, which has good Thai and other spicy recipes, and also East African sweet potato patties (P.42).

Gosh no - I never, ever want to eat meat again. The very idea makes me feel quite sick tbh.

1951Vintage Fri 07-Jun-13 21:55:42

I know this may be a bit sensitive, but are you actually a little bored with being veggie? This may sound heretical, but many of our family and friends have stopped being veggie in the last few years and have not looked back. It is hard to relinquish a position that you have striven to maintain, but I do urge you to think about it. We only eat meat which is free range and high welfare. These animals have come into existence to feed us, but they have had a good life and a good death - something we would like for ourselves! If it were not for feeding humans, they would not have existed at all. Some people are actually are super-tasters and do not like the taste of meat, in which case, you probably won't like any strong tasting food. A small number of people are food phobic: anorexic and bulimic. They have resorted to vegitarianism as a means to restrict intake in a socially acceptable way. Your family are eating meat now. Is it time for you to give it a go? Just asking. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Thanks, Bessie. The tofu dishes look particularly worth a try - will have a proper look later.

bessie26 Wed 05-Jun-13 21:39:52

Hi remus, my DH & DDs are carnivores too, but we all eat veggie at home. DD1 won't go near a mushroom or a creamy sauce either, but would quite happily live on cheese if I let her!

I've been writing down the recipes we've tried (mainly so that I can remember who liked what & what I should do differently next time) - perhaps something there will inspire you? DH & I like tofu stir-fry, the DDs like all beans & lentils and we all love soup - so we eat a lot of those.

Is it specifically tinned tomatoes you don't like? Could you sub a few fresh chopped ones? Do you eat fake-meat? I'm not a huge fan of quorn, but we have the escalope things every now & then for a quick easy meal.

We're having feta and spinach thing tonight too - the dds are having pizza! Inspired by this thread, I'm finding ways to split meals and not be quite so insistent on us all eating the same thing. Tomorrow (drum roll!) they are having chicken and I am having halloumi. smile

bunchofposy Wed 05-Jun-13 12:12:38

Have just been looking through my GH veggie cookbook - omelette stuffed with veg and veggie pie with garlic/french bread crust look a bit different and easy.

Also, baked eggs, with anything (leftover mash, garlic mushrooms, roasted peppers).

Just made the spandolika feta and spinach filo thing inspired by this thread. So easy - can't wait to eat it!

frenchfancy Wed 05-Jun-13 06:27:49

Hi B&W you might be best starting a new thread as your request might get lost in here.

aroomofherown Tue 04-Jun-13 18:57:37

Tonight we're having a salad with roasted pecan nuts and bacon with chicken breast, but you could swap the meat for halloumi cheese?

Liking 'Pock marked old woman's tofu' - will deffo try that! smile

qme Tue 04-Jun-13 17:07:47
sis Tue 04-Jun-13 12:38:40

sorry, i forgot to add the link for handwo - here it is: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Uo-HL3jbyk

Not at all Arbitrary - I like HFW, seems to have a similar simple approach to Nigel Slater who I also like watching, as not too complicated smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now