NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

So bored of everything we eat. Please inspire me!

(205 Posts)

I'm veggie, dp and dds are now meat eaters but since I do most of the shopping (online), meal planning and cooking (though dp is v good at doing prep etc) we eat veggie 99% of the time at home.

I tend to do lots of curries, chillis etc but we're all getting a bit bored of them tbh. It's also hard because dd1 won't eat anything in a creamy/cheesy sauce and I won't eat anything with tinned tomatoes, so that rules out a lot of pasta dishes for example.

Please inspire me!

Any good recipes with tofu maybe? Or something Thai-esqu? Or something with sweet potatoes which isn't a curry or a chilli? Or an exciting pie of some sort?

Yes to cornbread though! Which recipe do you use?

Kneedeepindaisies Sat 01-Jun-13 20:51:09

Maybe it was on a thread about Pointless and the lovely Richard. I love both of them.smile

Pasta can be accompanied by any sorts of vegetables.
In this season for instance pasta is great with gently fried courgettes, red onions and lots of black pepper and mint. If you want grate some feta on top too. Same with aubergine.

Bulghur wheat with chickpeas, avocado and any herb you like and lemon juice.

The problem is that lots of these things sound lovely, but the dds would not be impressed by them. sad

Yes to the lovely Richard! smile

whosiwhatsit Sat 01-Jun-13 21:09:35

I do black bean burritos. Don't really have a recipe but I use black beans (obvs), cheese (either feta or cheddar), herbs and spices (like fresh coriander, cumin, cayenne pepper, chipotles), chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, guacamole, etc. it's a really versatile recipe. Wrap it all up in a tortilla and bake. I tend to make loads of them all at once and freeze before cooking wrapped in foil.

whosiwhatsit Sat 01-Jun-13 21:12:36

Oh and i often add quorn chicken pieces to the burritos but you could add tofu if you like. Sweet potatoes are great as chips served alongside veggie burgers.

Yup, we do burritos a lot too. Not over fond of quorn pieces, but the dds do like them. We do sweet potato chips a lot too.

A typical week would be something like -

Sunday - nut cutlets, sweet and normal potato mash, stuffing and or yorkies, vege

Monday - sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry with rice or parathas, salad and coconut chutney, raita

Tuesday - pasta arabiatta or some such

Weds - either fajitas, burritos, tacos or chilli

Thursday - wedges, omelettes, salad or egg, chips and salad, or veggie burgers and salad

Friday - veggie shepherd's pie or veggie sausage casserole

Not necessarily in that order!

Right, how about toad in the whole with quorn sausages?

Meat free burgers with all the pickles, buns, chips etc (minus the pickles for the DCs)

I am bringing out the big guns here:
Eggy cheesy!!!! Basically hard boiled eggs with pasta, sweet corn and tons of cheesey sauce. Yum!

Vege stir fry?

Baked bean pie, layer of baked beans, layer of potato, layer of cheese!

Oh bum just saw your veggie burgers and salad.... Sorry to x pst!

Toad in the hole - yes, but in Winter
Yes to stir fry but I'd love an interesting recipe - am fed up of the ones I do.
DD1 won't do cheesy sauce, sadly. Baked beans = another evil food! smile

LittleFeileFooFoo Sat 01-Jun-13 21:32:19

Do you ever make spoon bread? I add veggies and cheese and it is very much loved by all.

Chile relleno quiche is also nice.

Spoon bread? Never! Please tell me more.

Googling the other one now.

Ooh yes to that quiche - perfect.

Is spoon bread soggy in the middle? DD1 won't eat it, if so.

whosiwhatsit Sat 01-Jun-13 21:37:34

If you're willing/able to put the time and money required you might really enjoy the food from Plenty by Ottolenghi. So far I've only made the aubergine in buttermilk sauce with pomegranate and the caramelised garlic tart but both were absolutely fantastic and tasted very different from anything I'd eaten before. The entire cookbook is vegetarian.

I really fancy the Ottolenghi stuff, but I work full time so haven't really got time for faffing.

Ok I see your difficulty now! How about a meat free Singapore noodle type thing, loads of stringy noodles with whatever veges you have lying about and soy sauce. Maybe with quorn pieces?

Cheesey nachos? Maybe squeeze some refried beans in? Would they count along side with baked beans as an evil food!!?

I make loads of soup? And crusty bread. I tend to chuck lentils in to any kind of vege soup, a base of onions, carrots, potatoes and paprika and then whatever else I have (broccoli, peas, sweet corn, green beans etc)

My mum makes an mean lentil wedge which is some kind of mixture of cooked lentils, cheese and peanut butter all cooked together into a kind of sliceable yum fest.

Cheese on toast?

Baked potatoes with all the stuff you like?

<awaits verdict> grin

happyAvocado Sat 01-Jun-13 21:42:40

Refried beans are non-evil (except to dd1!).
Yes to soup but again, tend to do the same ones (mostly either lentil or leek and potato)
Yes to baked potatoes but again, we have them so often...
Cheese on toast is a snack, not a meal!

Sorry, am super fussy. I love food (especially salads and 'foreign stuff') but get soooooooooooooo tired of trying to please everybody, day after day after day.

I suppose another idea would be for them to have meat and me to have a nice salad, but I won't cook meat!

That looks lovely, Avocado, but again is v like stuff we seem to have all the time anyway. Maybe I'm asking for the impossible.

happyAvocado Sat 01-Jun-13 21:51:05

maybe you ought to look at cooking not general - curry type of food, but try to get together few recipes of say Tamil Srilankan veggie recipes, Kerealan recipes, Tamil from Tamiland etc - they are very different and would take a little while to research, get all the ingredients and try them to see if you like them

are you able to make your own pasta/tortellini?

I am Polish and one of tastiest dishes we have and everyone loves them are called - Russian Pierogi, stuffing is made out of cottage cheese, fried onions, salt, pepper and dry mashed potatoes
You can get them from frozen compartment in Polish shops as well as some Tescos, but home made are heavenly, they also freeze really well

I am not a vegetarian but eat those kind of dishes more often than not, could you bring yourself to cook chicken? Or chop up some chorizo to add some extra flavour to their food? Or tuna to a stir fry or baked potatoes etc. is your DH veggie too?

LittleFeileFooFoo Sat 01-Jun-13 21:52:52

Spoon bread can be firm in the middle especially if you don't use cheese, or if you cook it in a shallow dish.

I dont actually use a crust for the quiche, and it's delicious!

That's a brilliant idea.

No time for making own pasta.

Just googled Plenty and it looks fantastic - I may have to break my no new cookbooks rule. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now