NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Dumping jars of sauces

(7 Posts)
Sonnet Tue 21-May-13 21:40:41

Thank you so much everyone! Just want I wanted!

TwoTearsInABucket Tue 21-May-13 13:03:24

i have used the rich beef stock pots that Marco Pierre White advertises and apparently I made the best beef stew ever!

Beef - always use carrots, mushrooms and onions, plus a dollop of caramelised onions from a jar if I've got them in, alternatively a teadpoon of marmite. Liquid either beer, red wine or beef stock. Flour the pieces of meat before browning. Always use a bayleaf or two.

Chicken - similar but whie wine and use thyme or rosemary as well as bayleaf, maybe a bit of garlic, some cubed fried pancetta.

There's a really nce recipe for paprika chicken in the Hairy Dieters cookbook.

Don't tend to use pork.

ProfYaffle Tue 21-May-13 07:11:48

Alcohol and good stock cubes are what you need. Beer/red wine for beef, white wine/sherry for chicken and cider for pork. Also a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream at the end of cooking really lifts a casserole. Oh, and dried mushrooms at the start gives it a really rich umami flavour.

Beamae Tue 21-May-13 07:05:40

Soften onions with garlic, chopped swedes and chopped carrots. Add cubed beef. Cook until browned. Add equal amounts of beef stock and ginger wine and bring to the boil. In the oven at 160 degrees for 2 hours.

cyanarasamba Tue 21-May-13 06:56:43

Pork fillet with honey & mustard - cut fillet in half so you have two shorter lengths. Brown on all sides in a deep pan. Add half a pint of stock, turn down the heat and simmer with lid on for 20 mins. Remove meat and keep warm. Add approx 1tbsp honey, 1tbsp grain mustard, tsp sage and black pepper, increase the heat to bubble. Mix 2tsp cornflour with a little water and add to thicken. Serve medallions of pork covered in the sauce.

All amounts are approximate I'm afraid, I sort of do it by eye/taste!

Sonnet Tue 21-May-13 06:48:04

I want to dump jars of sauces but have always struggled to get tasty casseroles etc. can anyone please pass on their sauce recipes for: chicken casserole, beef casserole, other chicken sauces and any for pork fillet please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now