List the vegetables you use most. Or just tell me your vegetable habits.

(54 Posts)
oinkment Mon 20-May-13 09:55:51

I am bored of my vegetable mainstays.

I seem to use courgette and / or aubergine in about 80% of all the meals I make.

And peas and sweetcorn are my freezer staples.

What do you use most. I'm hoping to be inspired by other peoples habits.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 27-May-13 21:04:39

In order it's probably:

frozen sweetcorn (we eat probably a pound or more a week just of this)
frozen peas
fresh carrots
fresh peppers
fresh onions

then rather lower down and according to season come:
salad leaves
cucumber
broccoli
parsnips
squashes
other root veg (turnip, swede etc)

riverboat Sun 26-May-13 22:00:04

Lots of peppers, mushrooms and onions because I cook quite a lot of curries and stir fries.

Broccoli, peas and green beans as side dishes to meat. Sometimes plain sometimes jazzed up.

Sweet corn, carrot, radishes, cucumber in green salads.

I love aubergine, courgette and asparagus but DP dislikes all three so I tend to just cook those when I'm eating on my own.

MadeOfStarDust Sun 26-May-13 20:42:28

Broccoli, carrots, corn on the cob, peas, green beans, cabbage, cauliflower are the staples.. oh and roasted beetroot..... mmmmmm

Hubby doesn't like any other veg - but I like the "fruits" done as veg -cucumber/courgette/aubergine/tomato/peppers/pumpkin/squashes etc...

Jojobump1986 Sun 26-May-13 20:40:04

Staples are: broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, baby corn & peas
We'll occasionally have green beans, runner beans or sugar snaps for a change.

I'd love to have salad more often but it always seems to make both DH & I gassy & DS wouldn't eat lettuce. sad

Ashoething Sun 26-May-13 20:39:55

Onions-I use them in pretty much everything
peppers-ditto
tomatoes
carrots,turnip and butternutsquash-usually for soups,
frozen veg is peas and sweetcorn-the only veg kids don't whinge about eating.

Celery
Pepper
Carrots
Sweetcorn (frozen)
Peas (frozen)
Broccoli (frozen)
Parsnip
Sweet potato
Potato
Tomatoes (tinned, does that count?!)
Mushrooms

I make a fair ammount of soups, stews and casseroles, things that can be made at some point in the day and re-heated for the boys tea at 4.30, and whenever DH gets home, usually between 5 and 7pm!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 26-May-13 20:29:09

Actual cooked veg on the side tends to consist just of sweetcorn or peas.

I do all sorts of different veg soup. Sweet potato, fennel, broccoli, carrot.

I do a lot of stir fries and put in sugar snap peas, peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn.

Eat lots of salad with stuff like pea shoots, cucumber, pepper, fennel, pak choi, beet root.

mamageekchic Sun 26-May-13 20:25:40

Most weeks I buy:

New potatoes
Baking potatoes
onions
mushrooms
carrots
celery
red onion
peppers
courgette
salad leaves
spring onions
cherry toms
cucumber (mainly for my gin ;) )

we also use frozen peas

I always use peppers, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, sweet corn. Though DH and I love all veg.

MissLurkalot Mon 20-May-13 14:20:01

I use leeks instead of onions and celery
I grate carrot and courgette into meals to make them more '5 a day' and to 'pad' them out
Brocolli fresh in fridge, Savoy cabbage, carrot sticks, fine beans
Frozen peas and sweetcorn

I like soya beans, freezer, but not broad beans (too dry)
Babycorn sometimes, fresh though, frozen aren't nice

If I say I've put some butter on the veges that they're not so keen on, they tend to eat it!

DewDr0p Mon 20-May-13 14:10:03

Oh and cabbage! Love cabbage and sprouts.

DewDr0p Mon 20-May-13 14:09:36

Our vegetable consumption varies a lot by season. But always always have salad and onions, garlic, celery, carrots. Broccoli features heavily thanks to the rare combo of it being green and dc3 being willing to eat it.

Dh and I love leeks and aubergines but don't eat lots of them as the dc aren't keen.

We also love courgettes, spinach, mushrooms, peas, broad beans, French beans, peppers, chicory, sweet potato, fennel. This summer I am growing salad leaves, rocket, French beans, peas, runner beans, chard and courgettes.

We've got more into butternut squash thanks to some great ideas in River Cottage Veg Everyday. Love cauliflower in a curry. Asparagus a lovely treat in season.

EldritchCleavage Mon 20-May-13 13:45:46

I also love broccolini stir-fried with oyster sauce.

Jcee Mon 20-May-13 13:33:11

Ths thread is quite inspiring as i'm in a vegetable rut too so it's interesting to see what others eat regularly.

I've been trying different salad bags for a change over last few weeks <lives life on edge> and it always makes me laugh when PIL come for dinner and they are in raptures over green beans as MIL apparently would never think to buy them!

Each week I buy: mushrooms, courgettes and peppers (for pasta, stir fries etc), green beans or broccoli or cauli (for dinner type meals) and salad bag x2 with salad stuff like cucumber, cherry toms, beetroot, spring onions.

I always have onions, garlic, fresh ginger, chives and coriander in. We have tinned sweet corn in too but I only ever seem to use this with tuna mayo!

Babelange Mon 20-May-13 13:32:00

Butternut squash is SO versatile; great in a homemade minestrone, also with oven roast vegetables (with aubergine, courgette, onion and peppers) - the latter works for a 2 day adult meal with roast veggies on a bed of cous cous salad topped with feta/parmesan shavings then the next day heated up with pasta (add a sprinkling of rocket leaves). Alas NOT for the DC's palates (yet).
Most recently added 'green' veg is sea asparagus - samphire. A bit of a niche vegetable usually just available at the seaside or in fish shops but now available at Tescos. It's very insubstantial, only requires a few minutes parboiling and is very salty.

Blu Mon 20-May-13 13:30:59

Fine green beans and broccoli as fresh veg staples to have alongside dishes.
Frozen leaf spinach to use in curries, cremed with fish or smoked fish, or with an egg, or in an omlette.
Carrots and parsnips to roast
Tinned (or grilled frozen when available - Waitrose used to do them) artichoke hearts to use in pasta sauce or sliced on pizza
Grilled mix veg frozen bags for use on pizzas and for various things
Leeks to have creamed with salmon, or in soups
Caulliflower - curries, cauli cheese with bacon and new potatoes,
Tinned chick peas and kidney beans - curries, chilli, stew

mrsvilliers Mon 20-May-13 13:27:42

We get a veg box, it forces us to eat different veg otherwise we'd probably live off peppers, courgettes and mushrooms! If you have a bit of time to cook I'd definitely recommend trying one, it really changed what we ate veg wise.

BornToFolk Mon 20-May-13 13:27:10

I always buy fresh
Carrots
Brocoli
Peppers
Onions
tomatoes
cucumber
potatoes
salad
mixed stir fry veg

I would buy mushrooms more but DS won't eat them. He's also not keen on aubergine or courgette so I don't often get them.

I have in the freezer:
peas
sweetcorn
broad beans
soya beans

I quite often buy celery for bolog/soups etc. Also green beans/sugar snap peas/mange tout if we're getting bored of brocoli as a side veg.

MrsBungle Mon 20-May-13 13:25:10

Oh forgot about

Potato
Mange tout and green beans.

EldritchCleavage Mon 20-May-13 13:25:10

Peppers, skin charred off I use a lot in salads, on pizza, in pasta sauce;
Mushrooms
I start most stews and things with onion, celery and carrot chopped;
Butternut squash (nice done with brown butter and sage, served with pasta);
Spinach I often put in lamb curry or just serve as a side dish, buttered;
Cauliflower is also good in curry
Leek gratin is a favourite too.

MrsBungle Mon 20-May-13 13:24:25

Our staples in practically every lunch and dinner are a combination of the following

Lettuce
Peppers
Cucumber
Tomatoes (I know it's a fruit!)
Peas
Sweet corn
Broccoli
Carrots
Onions
Turnip
Parsnip

We do use and eat other veg but I always have the above in the house and seem to use them for everything!

Onions, peppers, babycorn, green beans & cherry tomatoes(vegetable fajitas)
okra & spinach( cooked in curries or african stew)
Button mushrooms(in chinese curry with mixed veg)
Carrots(only ever use for soup)
Peas and sweetcorn
Salad - iceberg lettuce, cucumber, red onion, tomatoes( eat this most days with dinner)
Broccoli

I cook with onions and peppers most days but totally fed up, I need a menu overhaul!

daisydalrymple Mon 20-May-13 13:15:59

For "dinner" type meals, always carrots and brocolli, or frozen peas if towards end of week (shopping-wise)
For pasta/rice/noodles dishes always mushroom, courgette, peppers.
Onion

mainly these because the DC will actually eat them. I get fed up of wasting money when they pick their way around other stuff, but equally get so bored/uninspired with the above at times!

Butternut squash / parsnip / leek / cauli get used for soups, I make one a week then freeze in portions so I can have some variety at lunchtime!

I do sometimes make a big batch of red cabbage then freeze that in double portions and me and DH have that alongside other stuff [poison to DCs obv!]

Jojay Mon 20-May-13 13:08:36

Broccoli, carrots, green beans, baby corn, courgettes, peppers, peas, and sweetcorn are in my trolley most weeks.

Sometimes cauli, corn on the cob, cabbage, aubergine.

We grow a lot of our own veg, so it depends what's in season.
Carrots/parsnips
Onions/Shallots/spring onions/leek
Broccoli/purple broccoli/cauliflower
Sprouts/cabbage etc.
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Squash/pumpkin/courgette
Peppers (sweet and spicy)
Mushrooms
Runner beans/peas/mangetout

I supplement with frozen or tinned:
Chickpeas
Kidney beans
Sweetcorn/peas
3 bean salad
Borlotti beans
Tomatoes

I use a range of spices, so the constituent veg in a dish are usually secondary in terms of flavour.

How about going to the greengrocers and seeing what's in season (not much this time of year). Pick one thing each week and try to work it into a meal. You'll have expanded your range in no time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now