Sourdough starter advice please

(13 Posts)
Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 20-May-13 10:53:34

if anyone is in Bristol, I'll happily off load some starter for free!

Mominatrix Sun 19-May-13 21:04:31

Yes to Dan Lepard's recipe. Works very well, and I have an active and thriving starter. For a shortcut, you can order a starter from BakeryBits (in the ingredient's section).

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 16-May-13 21:42:51

I use Dan Lepard's recipe - see link in the post of Thu 16-May-13 19:32:44. It uses raisins and yogurt. I've never had any problems with it.

Jenijena Thu 16-May-13 21:37:39

Twice I've tried making a sourdough starter and twice it's failed... Once with grapes, once with yoghurt... Anyone any recommendations? The grape one sort of split and curdled... sad

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 16-May-13 21:30:45

Just had a slice with gorgonzola. It is worth it. smile

Ruffello Thu 16-May-13 19:52:37

Blimey, I hope it's worth all the effort! I'll give DL's method a try if this latest doesn't work, and Oranges good idea to use some of the excess for pizza - will definitely give that a go!

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Thu 16-May-13 19:39:35

OK, yes I am afraid if you don't bake with the overflow you do have to chuck it. BUT remember you can add a dollop to any loaf you bake (in addition to the yeast in a normal loaf) or add it to pizza dough for awesome pizza or add it to American style pancakes (but I think that tastes yuk).

What I tend to do is make a couple of sourdough loaves every five days or so, then top up the starter and pop it in the fridge. This slows down development massively so it only needs attention every couple of weeks.
Just make sure you take it out of the fridge and feed it 12 hours before you need it again.

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 16-May-13 19:32:44

I use Dan Lepard's starter and it takes 5 days, probably because he uses yogurt to help it along. You do discard the mixture - but you don't have to throw it away, just give it to someone, or branch out on another batch, I guess. I did that HFW loaf with Dan's starter and it was very nice. Not as nice as Dan's recipe though!

TerrysNo2 Thu 16-May-13 18:56:31

was confused, it's a soda bread flour but it's delicious!

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Neills-Irish-Soda-Bread-Mix/69003011?from=search&tags=%7C20000&param=soda+bread&parentContainer=SEARCHsoda+bread_SHELFVIEW

Ruffello Thu 16-May-13 18:50:26

Hmmm.... very interesting Terry. If my latest attempt doesn't work out, I'll definitely be heading to Waitrose.

TerrysNo2 Thu 16-May-13 18:45:15

there is a great bag you can get from waitrose where you just add water. it makes 3 loafs. slightly cheating but delicious!

Ruffello Thu 16-May-13 18:43:51

Any sourdough experts out there?

Ruffello Thu 16-May-13 14:55:44

After my first disastrous attempt to make sourdough bread, I'm starting afresh using this HFW recipe. I've got my starter going and it's looking good so far. But he recommends disposing of half the mixture every time you top up. Is this really necessary? At this rate, I'll have thrown away a whole bag of flour before I've made a single loaf!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now