Butter bean intervention

(16 Posts)

Following the genius suggestions on my request for curry recipes, I need help with a butter bean glut I seem to have acquired. I used to use them in a leek and cheese gratin or sausage casserole, but they strike me as a wasted opportunity for cramming protein into meat-dodging DS. Does anyone have any toddler friendly uses for them?

bigTillyMint Thu 16-May-13 13:56:04

I don't know whether your toddler would eat them, but I have lovely recipes for butterbean houmous and butterbean and butternut squash curry. Yum!

TryDrawing Thu 16-May-13 13:56:05

They make good houmous, and are very nice in enchiladas.

notso Thu 16-May-13 14:03:41

DS2 likes them in ham and butter bean risotto or creamed like mashed potato.

Yes he loves anything I can get away with calling 'Dip dip', where's your recipe from Tilly?

21mealspluscake Thu 16-May-13 14:23:09

They make a lovely salad with avocado and tuna and some green leaves, or try them as a green salad with ham and peaches and a grating of salty cheese like Parmesan or ricotta salata

Greek baked beans - yum.

Drladybird Fri 17-May-13 12:41:48

We're big fans of butter beans. My daughter and I love this Spanish butter bean dish and the little lady loves to pick out the beans and munch on them.
As well as dips, they are also good in soup. With the cold weather persisting in UK, maybe there's still time to have a butter bean and sweetcorn chowder This soup can be mashed, blended or left as is....

SavoyCabbage Fri 17-May-13 12:54:22

There's a butter bean soup recipe in Nigella's 'how to eat'.

SavoyCabbage Fri 17-May-13 12:55:52
Pantah630 Fri 17-May-13 13:02:56

Second Remus recipe

Pantah630 Fri 17-May-13 13:03:34

Epic fail trying again grin

MorningHasBroken Fri 17-May-13 13:06:22
MorningHasBroken Fri 17-May-13 13:08:22

Oops, link fail. I tried... blush

Ooh cheesy bean burgers! OK they're fried but they are so yummy and my DC love them.

itsonlysubterfuge Fri 17-May-13 14:22:36

I use them instead of pinto beans to make refried beans. Serve with tortillas (like you would a taco) or tortilla chips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now