Talk to me about standing food mixers.

(19 Posts)
AngsanaTree Thu 16-May-13 09:29:09

My attempts at baking this morning have resulted in cream up the walls and every bowl and spoon in the house being used. I love baking and want to make bread so I am thinking of buying a kitchen food mixer. My friend has a Bosch which looks fantastic, but I would like to get some other opinions first. Hers looks more like an industrial machine and one batch usually only uses about 1/5 of the bowl. My uses/ requirements are:

1) I'd like a standing mixer, one that on a basic level mixes (cakes/ muffins etc.), mixes dough for bread and whisks.

2) One that I can build on with attachments. I'd like to be able to mince using it too and possibly other attachments.

3) I'm not sure size wise. I'd like to be able to double a recipe at most, but don't need a huge machine.

4) Decent brand. I can't choose in a shop with the assistant behind me. I am looking at Bosch and KitchenAid. Any other brands on a similar budget?

5) Something easy to clean - after all this is why I want it. I don't want it for chopping or slicing.

Love to hear your views!!!!

Kitchen aids are great!!!! smile

The ken wood chefs are popular too though

I would just suggest look at KMix too or a Kenwood chef. I have a KMix, you can get a mincer attachment but I haven't got that I just use mine for baking and I love it.

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/10/bake-your-own-bread but this is my favourite homemade bread recipe and you don't need a mixer for it, it's nearly no kneading.

AlfalfaMum Thu 16-May-13 09:39:43

I love my kMix. Really easy to use/clean and very easy on the eye grin
The other day I used the dough hook to make bread to have with dinner, the K beater to make apple cake for after, then the whisk for cream.
You can get other attachments, but I don't have any yet.

Think Amazon are cheapest place to buy, although I bought direct from a shop (Currys I think..) incase it ever malfunctions.

AngsanaTree Thu 16-May-13 09:49:16

Hmm, just did a quick google and saw that some of them can make your own ice cream and raviolli.

Jesus, no wonder I can't lose weight blush I love food too much.

I use mine to beat/stir my fudge as it is cooling down <eyes belly flab>

www.squidoo.com/BestFudgeRecipe

This recipe. A pint of double cream plus sugar and real vanilla...it is deadly bulk buy vanilla pods from Amazon

AngsanaTree Thu 16-May-13 12:37:47

I'm drooling grin

GinRickey Thu 16-May-13 19:59:49

I love my Kmix. It was a Christmas present from DH in cream to match my kitchen and it's BEAUTIFUL and also so good at what it does.

It came with a voucher for a free attachment - I ordered the sausage maker but am still waiting for it... sad

AngsanaTree Sun 19-May-13 02:02:39

I just bought a KitchenAid Artisan 4.8L (wanted 5 but don't stock it where I live). It was in the sale because no one is buying the raspberry colour. Well, I LOVE it...

MatureUniStudent Sun 19-May-13 18:55:17

Ohhh raspberry K Aid in my kitchen. I adore it. I love the fact that it actually kneeds the bread for me and makes the most delicious quick bread. I've had other food processors before but you can't beat a K Aid. I also have the freestanding liquidisers. Brilliant for soups or hiding veggies in sauces so the DC eat neggies.

MatureUniStudent Sun 19-May-13 18:56:53

Sigh. Veggies. Ipad. Tsk

AngsanaTree Mon 20-May-13 01:44:49

Hmm, made loads of muffins last night.

MatureUni, do you have any of the attachments for the KitchenAid. I was thinking of buying the mincer attachment. The pasta ones look good but I do not know if I could be faffed to make pasta although if the KA will mix the pasta and then cut it, perhaps it may be a good addition.

I went shopping for clothes in Zara and Mango, looked at some Chanel makeup and came back with a KitchenAid.

Am I officially Mumsy? Do I need to buy some mum boots and wear my hair in a low pony tail? shock

I have the shredder attachment for my KA and use it almost daily for even simple things like grating cheese and slicing cucumber. I absolutely love it.

Mominatrix Mon 20-May-13 13:51:24

Candy Apple Red Kitchenaid has pride of place in my kitchen. I love it and use it all the time - after the toaster and kettle, it is my most used countertop appliance.

I have the pasta making attachment which the kids love to use and the ice cream making attachment which is fantastic and fun. I use it to whip up egg whites, make brioche, do the initial knead for breads and bagels, cakes, airy buttercream icing, and the easiest flaky pastry I have come across.

MatureUniStudent Mon 20-May-13 20:31:35

Ang - I find with the separate stand alone blender and the three beaters (whisk, dough hook and K beater) does me. Gwen's shredder attachment sounds interesting - Gwen is it dishwasher proof? I'd like a second bowl, a glass bowl. Mom - what is the icecream maker like? Do you have to freeze the bowl first, as I never have space in my freezers.

No alas only the plastic housing is dishwasher safe. The actual cones aren't. I do love it though.

I'd also love a glass bowl, and the ice cream maker and a flex edge beater...

AngsanaTree Tue 21-May-13 11:31:50

I'd love a bigger kitchen to put my beloved KitchenAid in sad

Mominatrix Tue 21-May-13 19:08:10

MatureUniStudent, yes you do have to freeze the bowl but it isn't really that cumbersome as I just leave it in the freezer when not in use and use it as a container for packs of frozen veg.

Crikeyblimey Tue 21-May-13 19:13:43

Kitchen Aid here - love love love it. Does everything I need and looks amazing too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now