celariac

(15 Posts)
dubstarr73 Sat 11-May-13 14:32:38

Does anyone know how to cook it.I bought it hte other day and ive no idea.Thanks

TheMoreItSnows Sat 11-May-13 14:37:41

Treat it like potatoes, peel it then roast it, mash it, dauphinoise it, or julienne it very fine and eat it raw in a coleslaw type dish...

Ooh there is a lovely recipe for a gratin with red chilli - it's either Hairy Bikers or HFW and I can't remember which. Worth a google - tis v nice.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Sat 11-May-13 15:15:56

Celeriac Tartiflette

Rough quantities:

500g celeriac, cut into small chunks, boiled in salted water till just tender (15-20 mins)
2 little packs smoked lardons (they are usually 2 small, linked packs)
2-3 echalion shallots, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
100ml white wine
sloosh of double cream
a bay leaf or two
25g butter
Reblochon cheese - around 200-250g - cut into dice

While the celeriac is cooking, fry the shallots, lardons, garlic and bayleaves in butter in a frying pan, till all are soft/tender. Add the white wine and the cream and continue to cook gently till all is reduced.

Once the celeriac is cooked, drain it, put it into a casserole dish, add the onion/bacon/wine/cream mixture, stir in and then add the Reblochon. Stir together and season with black pepper.

Bake in the oven with a lid on the dish for around 20 minutes at around 180-200, then take the lid off and continue to cook for another 20 minutes until golden brown on top.

Lovely served with a green salad with a garlicky vinaigrette dressing.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Sat 11-May-13 15:18:48

Celeriac Boulangere

600g celeriac (1 large celeriac) peeled
250g shallots (about 3 large banana/echalion shallots)
chicken stock - about half litre*
3-4 cloves garlic
sea salt and black pepper
grated mature cheddar (gruyere would be nice, but I only had cheddar!)

Cut the celeriac into chunks, and then slice the chunks. (If you have a food processor, use the fattest slicing blade)
Peel and slice the shallots
Mix the shallots and celeriac together in a reasonably shallow casserole/baking dish
Crush the garlic and mix into the celeriac/shallots, along with a good seasoning of black pepper and sea salt
Pour the stock into the dish, then cover with foil/a lid and bake on a medium heat for around half an hour; take the foil/lid off and bake for another half an hour, so that the stock reduces - just make sure it doesn't burn on top.
When it's sufficiently dry/cooked through, top the dish with plenty of grated cheese and bake again until the cheese is browned.

* I found that using the whole amount of stock was too much - 3/4 of this amount would probably have been better. I had to put the dish in the microwave on high for 10 minutes to boil the excess off, and it was still a bit too liquidy when I served it - although it tasted lovely!

Serves 6 easily

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Sat 11-May-13 15:19:28

Celeriac and leek mash (serves 2 generously)

1/4 large celeriac, peeled and chopped into inch-square chunks
1 large leek, washed and sliced

Boil the celeriac in salted water till it's tender - about 20-25 minutes
Add the sliced leeks to the celeriac and continue to boil until the leeks are tender - about 2 minutes
Drain the vegetables, then return to the pan
Add a large knob of butter and then use a hand blender to mash the veg - the texture is up to you
Season with black pepper and sea salt, to taste

Moominsarehippos Sat 11-May-13 15:20:04

I'm boring - I make celery and celeriac soup!

D0oinMeCleanin Sat 11-May-13 15:23:55

I just celeriac instead of potatos for mash when I am being healthy. I read somewhere that if you boil it in milk it tastes more like potato, but I've never tried it done in water, so I can't tell you whether that is true.

I'm only really posting to mark my place so I can try BIWI's Celeriac Boulangere recipe grin We're getting a bit sick of sweet potatos, that would make a nice change served with chicken instead of my usual roasted orange vegetables. It sounds lovely.

UptoapointLordCopper Sat 11-May-13 17:07:30

Gratin

The only HFW recipe I've liked.

dubstarr73 Sat 11-May-13 20:51:30

Oh nice have to have a go with the chilli that sounds my kinda recipe

MousyMouse Sat 11-May-13 20:58:18

cut into discs
cook until nearly tender (about a minute in the microwave)
flour-egg-breadcrumbs
fry

Drladybird Sat 11-May-13 21:45:27

Sweet coconut, celeriac and chickpea curry or, as everyone else says, in a gratin.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sun 12-May-13 13:34:31

Celeriac remoulade - grate it and mix with mayo, natural yogurt & horseradish. Delicious!

IhateMondaymornings Mon 13-May-13 22:07:18

Try celariac and apple salad. If you google there are a variety of recipes. It's lovely with pork.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now