ideas for snacks at school?

(9 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 13-May-13 22:52:53

Our school insist on fruit or veg, just remember to put anything you cut up into a sandwich bag or they will have to carry a container all playtime.

Fruit is enough though, our reception class has break at around 10.30 and lunch at 11.45. They also get offered milk and either fruit or veg at around 2.30. If I gave dd a flapjack, she would just pick at her lunch but you know your child best smile

snoworneahva Thu 09-May-13 23:20:04

Our school insists on fruit or veg for snack...no other choice is allowed.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 09-May-13 21:36:16

flapjacks could be good - you can add dried fruit and nuts and it doesn't stand out from cereal bars / choc bars if that's what friends have. You can easily knock up a batch at the weekend and they'll last all week.

flapjack?

Schools are big on healthy snacks so I'm sure they won't be the only one! Oatcakes or crackers are good too, also dried fruit like raisins, apricots etc.

uptheswanney Wed 08-May-13 21:42:38

Thanks for your replies and for understanding my pfb'nesssmile. I genuinely hadn't thought about sandwiches! calpyso I like the fact they have guidelines in your school as that makes sense to me too but I don't think there will be any policy in his one. I like the idea of Friday being a treat day though

That is interesting that they might want the same as their friends. That is something that I am becoming aware of. I am totally passionate about nutrition although often not practicing what I preach but I don't want my DS to look too 'odd' and stand out so I can see that I might need to compromise a bit with his lunch/snacks at school and try and make everything else at home a bit better. Thank you both again!

mrsyattering Wed 08-May-13 13:02:45

My dd has either, apple, banana, cereal bar, fruit string things, fruit
bar or occasionally small bag of crisp/mini cheddar sort of thing. Sometimes she eats it and sometimes not. They seem to share a bit in the playground.
I'm lucky if she eats any packed lunch also, she famished when she comes out! Eats the pack lunch on the way home normally!

calypso2008 Wed 08-May-13 13:02:11

Hi upthe don't worry - I had the same panic last year when my PFB started school. I am in Spain, so slightly different snacks perhaps than the UK, but still same thing really.

The school gave us guidelines of the following: Monday 'fruit' (ie banana/cut up apple - something easy to eat) Tuesday 'a milk product' (ie small yogurt), Wednesday was always 'sandwich' (this is small at their age and I alternate between cheese or nutella or ham) Thursday is also fruit, Friday was a treat like a couple of biscuits or a croissant - but I am not sure if schools allow this in the UK?

Hope that helps! Main thing is; they want similar to their friends, so you will find out what is the norm a few weeks in! smile

Oh, and always provide water or juice (here, anyway)

uptheswanney Wed 08-May-13 12:54:40

My ds is starting school in the summer and would really like to hear some suggestions for some good (healthy or healthy-ish!) snacks to have at breaktime? What things work for young kids in the playground to eat quickly? I know this might be really obvious as to what would work but he is my pfb first child so this is all new to me smile!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now