Are Dr Oetker food colour gels any good?

(6 Posts)
sharond101 Mon 06-May-13 14:29:16

Looking for food colour to give a bright effect to decorate a child's birthday cake. Are the Dr Oetker gels any good or should i order some food colour paste? I probably won't use them again so didn't want to have to spend alot on them and my local Asda have the Dr Oetker ones.

fallenempires Tue 07-May-13 15:17:50

I haven't used them as I've always found that their other food colourings aren't very effective and alot is needed to achieve a decent colour which I feel affects the flavour of the icing.
I would recommend buying either Squires or Sugarflair paste colours.You can buy these online or from a cake dec shop.
They also come with a long use by date usually a good few years.

ChunkyPickle Tue 07-May-13 15:24:36

I had them, used an entire tube of the red for a smal batch of biscuits, and just about got a pink.

I agree with fallen empires - the only ones worth getting are the little tubs of paste colours from a cake decorating shop - nothing I've bought in a supermarket has been very good at all.

No. Bought red, got pink. The best gels I've got were from Jane Asher's website.

No, they're utter crap. If you want things actually coloured then go for Wiltons. If you want them an insipid shadow of the colour you chose then go for the DrO

sharond101 Wed 08-May-13 22:03:04

I got some pastes today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now