Where the flipping flip do you buy chard?

(26 Posts)
nevergoogle Sun 05-May-13 21:41:11

scratching my head in supermarkets wondering where you good people buy chard? swiss chard? assuming they are the same thing, where you buy such a vegetable?

They are the same thing, but not in season here yet, which may be why you're finding it difficult to locate.

It is v.easy to grow too, if you're that way inclined. Also, if you do get hold of some it's well worth gently steaming and then pouring a decent cheese sauce over it.

nevergoogle Sun 05-May-13 22:38:35

thanks, i was going to put in a curry with new potatoes a la HFWhittingstall. I keep having to use spinach which is ok, but gets a bit sloppy.

thanks for replying. i was on the verge of starting an AIBU thread stating I was high on coke and in charge of a rottweiler just to get somebody to take notice before forwarding them onto this thread.

alienbanana Sun 05-May-13 22:43:58

Veg box people always seem to have tons of the stuff. And butternut squash and celeriac.

karmakameleon Sun 05-May-13 22:47:24

Yep, get a veg box, you're almost guaranteed to get a bunch of the stuff.

WillowinGloves Sun 05-May-13 22:49:17

Top shelf in Waitrose, above the spinach, in my branch anyway!
Grow it if you can - it's expensive compared to spinach but it grows like a weed and you cut it and it keeps growing ... Fabulous stuff! That'll be why the veg box people have it, I guess.

I made the HFW curry. It is the only thing I have ever made that dp was completely unable to eat. I wouldn't bother tbh - the chard is a faff to wash and chop and then it just tastes slimy and horrible.

WillowinGloves Sun 05-May-13 22:50:18

Expensive to buy, compared to spinach, I should have said. Seeds are cheap enough!

thefirstmrsrochester Sun 05-May-13 22:52:42

I've not seen chard in the supermarkets yet this year but previously I've grown my own (well bought then as plug plants) and they were easy peasy. I got rainbow and ruby varieties. They looked great, but aside from in a salad, I didn't know what to do with it.

nevergoogle Sun 05-May-13 22:52:57

I've made the curry before, was a bit too mild so planning to keep it spicy.
I was hoping the chard would wilt less than spinach.
Anyway, I've bought spring greens instead because Morrisons had that.

Oh, I don't know, despite the replies, perhaps you should AIBU with your Rottie/drugs story anyway (maybe add in a P&C space or a wedding invite too? grin)

nevergoogle Sun 05-May-13 23:00:58

If i post it, they will come...

This thread is where it's at now. grin

quoteunquote Sun 05-May-13 23:03:14

it very easy to grow.

helpful I am.

go to a proper veg. shop, supermarket veg is never as good.

I think people mostly grow their own.

It's not very nice really, very bland, like celery mixed with spinach.

<shrugs>

WafflyVersatile Mon 06-May-13 00:17:36

I think the only time I've had swiss chard it was in a veg box.

Is there something we are not being told? hmm

nevergoogle Mon 06-May-13 09:36:15

are you suggesting a conspiracy?

waikikamookau Mon 06-May-13 09:39:13

Morrisons

nevergoogle Mon 06-May-13 09:49:46

my morrisons doesn't have it.

TheRealFellatio Mon 06-May-13 12:47:49

I wouldn't bother. I tastes of nothing. The only reason recipes are popping up all over the place for it is because it is easy to grow and looks pretty in the veg patch. But it's the leafy greens equivalent of a vacuous airheaded bimbo. all style and no substance. Stick to spinach.

TempusFuckit Mon 06-May-13 15:30:45

My mum's garden.

<helpful>

kotinka Mon 06-May-13 15:32:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrsrobertduvall Mon 06-May-13 15:32:37

My dad used to grow it.
But he's dead now ( not helpful in the slightest)

topbannana Mon 06-May-13 15:37:51

It comes in our veg box. Every week (after the first outing) I studiously ignore it until the night before the new one arrives when it is unceremoniously binned
Nasty bastard of a vegetable hmm

See, I quite like it - although, I do like iceberg lettuce too...hmm. Even just warmed through on a pan with butter is good.

Does the fact I will also pick my way through a bag of rocket redeem me? [Hopeful]

[Slinks off thread in blush ]

WilsonFrickett Mon 06-May-13 21:01:41

There's apparently a shortage of all green leafies (says my vegan friend) cos of the wet, cold spring. I got kale in my veg box last week and it was really poor quality, but apparently there's none around in the supermarkets, same with chard, spring greens, etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now