NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

What's the tastiest black tea?

(19 Posts)
PigletJohn Sat 04-May-13 22:37:08

I recommend you try using water though a Brita or similar jug. It really does improve flavour, clarity and scum in the cup.

It softens the water as well as removing other impurities, and I asked the makers if it added sodium bicarbonate; they said it doesn't as it works a different way.

They are quite popular round here as the water is very hard. When I moved here I couldn't make tea I liked.

Austin7 Sat 04-May-13 22:02:59

I find loose leaf teas have a more lively taste-although those expensive silky tea pyramids are as good. Teapigs Builders is tasty for a treat.

ELR Sat 04-May-13 19:47:21

Loose Assam tea is the best IMHO but failing that Yorkshire tea!

piratecat Fri 03-May-13 21:56:29

Thompsons Punjana tea.

I was a PG girl for donkeys till I saw this in Morrisons smile

melliebobs Fri 03-May-13 21:54:13

It used to be Twinnings English breakfast but ages ago Asda didn't have any so had clipper organic. Never gone back!

miffybun73 Fri 03-May-13 19:59:23

I do like Yorkshire Tea too, my Mum and sister get it, but I still prefer PG brew

yorkshire for a good strong brew. used to like pg, has to be yorkshire now, miffybun73 give 'em a go!

Pamsie Fri 03-May-13 19:52:34

Clipper organic english breakfast. Other teas just don't cut it anymore since I've tried the Clipper ones.

miffybun73 Fri 03-May-13 19:43:30

I love PG Tips pyramid tea bags brewed in a mug for exactly 3 minutes - nicer than any tea that I have ever tasted smile

Drladybird Fri 03-May-13 19:41:10

Clipper do some really nice teas- we are drinking the gold bags at the moment (packed in funky bright pink and gold packaging) but they have a range of everyday type teas. Most supermarkets stop Clipper or health food shops would too.

AllSWornOut Fri 03-May-13 18:42:22

I like Sainsbury's red label <lowers tone of thread> It's a really "clean", proper tea. Even the decaf version tastes good. Can't stand Darjeeling, Earl Grey, etc. teas.

Mama1980 Fri 03-May-13 18:22:07

Lady grey for me, though I don't drink it with milk.

Xiaoxiong Fri 03-May-13 18:17:43

I think loose leaf tea makes a huge difference. Tea bags taste really dusty by comparison. You can get a tea ball to make just one cup, or teapots with integral metal baskets to make it foolproof smile

DH orders tea online - brands he likes are the English tea company and Tea Makers. Expensive but seems to last forever compared to bags because it takes less to make it as strong as a tea bag.

I like Kenyan or Ceylon. Good and tea-ish, but not quite as harsh as Assam can be.

bollockstoit Fri 03-May-13 16:48:02

I don't like darjeeling etc. I think those orangey coloured teas are from India. The ones I like are china teas.

bollockstoit Fri 03-May-13 16:46:35

I love Lady Grey. I drink it black though, so not sure what it's like with milk.

titan Fri 03-May-13 16:38:10

I buy cafe direct everyday tea bags from Ocado. Also like Twinings but find it more tannic. Definitely ask the cafe next time you remember though as it's a very personal thing!

ILikeToClean Fri 03-May-13 16:35:13

Yorkshire Tea is lovely, or Twinings English Breakfast. Think a lot of cafes etc use Twinings. Loose tea probably does taste better than bags, but it's if you can be bothered! smile

scarletcrossbones Fri 03-May-13 15:50:40

I like all sorts of teas - herbal, fruit, chai etc but can't find a really "bright", strong normal black tea that tastes really good with a splash of milk! I've had lovely ones in cafes before but never thought to ask exactly what they were - do you think it's only the loose leaf stuff that really tastes good? I keep buying stuff like Darjeeling, Assam etc, and they do nothing for me. Got a box of posh-looking Twinings Assam today and it just tastes like bloody Tetleys to me!

What's the nicest, most "tea-like" tea you've had grin and where can I buy it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now