What's the tastiest black tea?

(19 Posts)
scarletcrossbones Fri 03-May-13 15:50:40

I like all sorts of teas - herbal, fruit, chai etc but can't find a really "bright", strong normal black tea that tastes really good with a splash of milk! I've had lovely ones in cafes before but never thought to ask exactly what they were - do you think it's only the loose leaf stuff that really tastes good? I keep buying stuff like Darjeeling, Assam etc, and they do nothing for me. Got a box of posh-looking Twinings Assam today and it just tastes like bloody Tetleys to me!

What's the nicest, most "tea-like" tea you've had grin and where can I buy it?

ILikeToClean Fri 03-May-13 16:35:13

Yorkshire Tea is lovely, or Twinings English Breakfast. Think a lot of cafes etc use Twinings. Loose tea probably does taste better than bags, but it's if you can be bothered! smile

titan Fri 03-May-13 16:38:10

I buy cafe direct everyday tea bags from Ocado. Also like Twinings but find it more tannic. Definitely ask the cafe next time you remember though as it's a very personal thing!

bollockstoit Fri 03-May-13 16:46:35

I love Lady Grey. I drink it black though, so not sure what it's like with milk.

bollockstoit Fri 03-May-13 16:48:02

I don't like darjeeling etc. I think those orangey coloured teas are from India. The ones I like are china teas.

I like Kenyan or Ceylon. Good and tea-ish, but not quite as harsh as Assam can be.

Xiaoxiong Fri 03-May-13 18:17:43

I think loose leaf tea makes a huge difference. Tea bags taste really dusty by comparison. You can get a tea ball to make just one cup, or teapots with integral metal baskets to make it foolproof smile

DH orders tea online - brands he likes are the English tea company and Tea Makers. Expensive but seems to last forever compared to bags because it takes less to make it as strong as a tea bag.

Mama1980 Fri 03-May-13 18:22:07

Lady grey for me, though I don't drink it with milk.

AllSWornOut Fri 03-May-13 18:42:22

I like Sainsbury's red label <lowers tone of thread> It's a really "clean", proper tea. Even the decaf version tastes good. Can't stand Darjeeling, Earl Grey, etc. teas.

Drladybird Fri 03-May-13 19:41:10

Clipper do some really nice teas- we are drinking the gold bags at the moment (packed in funky bright pink and gold packaging) but they have a range of everyday type teas. Most supermarkets stop Clipper or health food shops would too.

miffybun73 Fri 03-May-13 19:43:30

I love PG Tips pyramid tea bags brewed in a mug for exactly 3 minutes - nicer than any tea that I have ever tasted smile

Pamsie Fri 03-May-13 19:52:34

Clipper organic english breakfast. Other teas just don't cut it anymore since I've tried the Clipper ones.

yorkshire for a good strong brew. used to like pg, has to be yorkshire now, miffybun73 give 'em a go!

miffybun73 Fri 03-May-13 19:59:23

I do like Yorkshire Tea too, my Mum and sister get it, but I still prefer PG brew

melliebobs Fri 03-May-13 21:54:13

It used to be Twinnings English breakfast but ages ago Asda didn't have any so had clipper organic. Never gone back!

piratecat Fri 03-May-13 21:56:29

Thompsons Punjana tea.

I was a PG girl for donkeys till I saw this in Morrisons smile

ELR Sat 04-May-13 19:47:21

Loose Assam tea is the best IMHO but failing that Yorkshire tea!

Austin7 Sat 04-May-13 22:02:59

I find loose leaf teas have a more lively taste-although those expensive silky tea pyramids are as good. Teapigs Builders is tasty for a treat.

PigletJohn Sat 04-May-13 22:37:08

I recommend you try using water though a Brita or similar jug. It really does improve flavour, clarity and scum in the cup.

It softens the water as well as removing other impurities, and I asked the makers if it added sodium bicarbonate; they said it doesn't as it works a different way.

They are quite popular round here as the water is very hard. When I moved here I couldn't make tea I liked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now