NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

I made Masterchef soda bread and it smells weird

(15 Posts)
Trill Sun 28-Apr-13 18:46:04

This recipe

Why does it smell weird? Is it the honey? The egg? Most of the recipes I've seen don't have honey or egg.

Or is soda bread just a bit weird generally?

I'm not very good at bread. I would like to do a sad face here but the blue sad face is soooo sad and I'm only mildly sad smile

OddSockMonster Sun 28-Apr-13 18:47:56

Soda bread's fairly normal, I've never seen, or used, a recipe with egg or honey in though.

Is it still edible?

BikeRunSki Sun 28-Apr-13 18:48:51

Soda bread always smells a bit weird, although I have never made it with egg or honey.

OddSockMonster Sun 28-Apr-13 18:48:57

That chowder looks quite tasty...

Trill Sun 28-Apr-13 18:49:28

It is edible, but I don't want to eat it. DP might like it though.

Any soda bread tips or better recipes that you'd like to recommend? Do you use bread flour or normal flour?

spanky2 Sun 28-Apr-13 18:50:13

I thought it smelt funny too. Abit like a sponge cake . Tasted okay though !

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 28-Apr-13 18:52:31

I've also never known an egg in soda bread. It seems quite lavish for such a down to earth food. Am sure it's grand though. I do use honey, or a bit of sugar in mine.

Good that you're not quite blue levels of sad face though. That would be a big shame.

multitask Sun 28-Apr-13 18:54:22

Well soda bread smella different to bread in that it smells a bit like bicarb but in all my years I've never seen or made soda bread with egg and honey. I imagine egg will make it a bit softer, cake like maybe. Hot with butter it'll taste grand smile

Trill Sun 28-Apr-13 18:54:37

spanky have you made this particular one?

I didn't make the chowder, just the bread, so I can't comment on that.

HazeltheMcWitch Sun 28-Apr-13 18:55:27

My tip is mix it as little as poss. Don't even use a spoon - use a clawed hand (called Monster Hand chez McWitch).
We just use plain flour. Sometimes use milk soured with a bit of lemon juice or vinegar, or a mix of milk and yogurt, if I've no buttermilk.

And always, ALWAYS cut a deep cross in the top pre-baking - to let the witches/devil out.

Trill Sun 28-Apr-13 19:11:18

Monster Hand it is next time! grin

Trill Sun 28-Apr-13 19:11:29

DP says it tastes like pastry.

Soda bread is a natural laxative. Just saying grin

Trill Mon 29-Apr-13 12:11:33

Really? Why's that? It doesn't exactly contain any unusual ingredients.

I think it's the bicarbonate of soda. "I thought it was just me blush so googled and apparently I am not alone!!!!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now