Lentil sauce to go with pasta

(9 Posts)
TotemPole Mon 06-May-13 21:40:40

Thank you for your suggestions. Sorry I thought I'd replied last week.

tigerdriverII Tue 30-Apr-13 23:10:51

One tablespoon of vinegar and a sprinkle of sugar would work well in this. If you have fresh chillies, don't go mad with them but add a couple.

tigerdriverII Tue 30-Apr-13 23:09:22

Get the lentils ready to sling in.

Chop up the garlic, onions, celery and carrot as fine as you can. Sweat them in whatever oil you like. Add loads of herbs, spices, flavourings (eg Worcester sauce, chilli, maggi sauce anything really). Chuck in tomatoes, some more liquid (stock?) and melt it all down. Cheese on top. It'll be fne.

boogiewoogie Tue 30-Apr-13 23:05:33

We frequently use the following recipe:

Ingredients
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic crushed and chopped
1- 1 1/2 tins of tomatoes
8 oz lentils
4 oz mushrooms sliced/diced whatever
1 red pepper diced
1/4 pint of stock (I often just mix a bit of marmite with boiling water)
Basil, oregano etc

Fry onions in olive oil until soft. Add garlic for a minute or so. Add the peppers and mushrooms and cook for another minute. Add the lentils and herbs and stir so that they get a good coating of oil. Add the tomatoes and stock. Bring to boil and simmer for 25 minutes or so until the lentils are tender but not like mashed potato.

Add spaghetti and cheese and tabasco if you like.

Drladybird Tue 30-Apr-13 11:42:34

Sugar would work just as well in the bolagnese- white or brown.

TotemPole Tue 30-Apr-13 09:50:01

Thanks for the replies.

No flakes but I guess fresh chillies would work as well.

The bolognese sounds nice. I don't have molasses. What could work instead? I have golden syrup, sugar, white wine vinegar, mustard.

I'm trying to build up a few store cupboard recipes.

Drladybird Mon 29-Apr-13 10:05:02

This is a family favourite: Lentil Bolagnese. Tasty and easy to make.

No recipe but the key is to add lots more flavouring than you think you'll need - red wine, lots of chopped herbs and probably some chilli flakes too, to avoid it being bland.

TotemPole Sat 27-Apr-13 18:58:24

Does anyone have any tried and tested recipes please?

We have red lentils, tinned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, celery.

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now