NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Help! Impressive pud to take to friends' dinner party...

(85 Posts)
YoniOno Thu 25-Apr-13 21:13:52

... I only just remembered we're meant to be bringing pudding, which means going out tomorrow morning to get ingredients and making it during DS' nap [panic]

Any fail safe, idiot proof stunners?

Ruprekt Thu 25-Apr-13 21:15:35

M& S is there for a reason! smilesmilesmile

How much trouble do you want to go to?

Because if you want to SERIOUSLY push the boat out, there is "Black Forest Gateau Trifle. " But it is a serious faff.

Chubfuddler Thu 25-Apr-13 21:17:01

What's the main? Tarte tartin is easy particularly if you use rolled puff pastry (even Gordon Ramsay tells you to).

LittleBearPad Thu 25-Apr-13 21:20:25

Tiramisu.

It's really easy but looks impressive. If you get some savoy biscuits (ladyfingers) there's a recipe on the back.

Basically you soak the biscuits in coffee (strong instant will do) and your choice of booze (brandy/Tia Maria/Marsala)

Mix together mascarpone and cream.

Layer soaked biscuits and cream mixture a coupe of times. Top with grated chocolate or cocoa powder.

rubyslippers Thu 25-Apr-13 21:20:33

pavlova

loads of beautifully presented fruit makes it look spectacular without loads of effort

ReluctantlyBeingYoniMassaged Thu 25-Apr-13 21:21:07

Cat litter tray cake! Google it!

YoniOno Thu 25-Apr-13 21:21:23

It has to be a bit home-made and impressive really as I'm a SAHM and the other 3 couples think I just sit around eating bonbons all day I do but that's besides the point

Black Forest trifle? Tell me more!

Delia's fake it chocolate mousse out of her how to cheat at cooking - add a smidge of baileys if its for grown ups.

YoniOno Thu 25-Apr-13 21:22:27

Cat litter tray WHAT now?

Ooh actually Tiramisu might work, plus I love it.

Main is fondue (Swiss couple)

joanofarchitrave Thu 25-Apr-13 21:22:48

I think there is no pudding nicer or easier than caffe affogato (2 scoops of vanilla ice cream in a small cup, like espresso size, and strong black coffee poured over it - only requires you to buy the best ice cream and coffee you can afford.) But I'm not sure i would have the confidence to serve this up as a guest, if you see what I mean.

SizzleSazz Thu 25-Apr-13 21:23:21

Lemon tart

PrincessOfChina Thu 25-Apr-13 21:23:29

Eton Mess. Love it.

Waswondering Thu 25-Apr-13 21:24:04

Lime cheesecake ... Recipe is on here somewhere. Mix marscapone with zest and juice of 2 limes, add approx 50g icing sugar. Put on a biscuit base made with ginger nuts. So good ... Elegant in its simplicity. Enjoy.

blue2 Thu 25-Apr-13 21:24:57

If the main is a fondue, I'd go for something fairly light if I was you.

Either meat or cheese fondue will leave you feeling Sooooooo Full!!

Key lime pie consisting of lime juice/zest, double cream and condensed milk whipped up on a biscuit base is about zero effort but tastes so good you think it had to be harder grin

Slainte Thu 25-Apr-13 21:28:34

This - Baileys and choc cheesecake, really easy.

YoniOno Thu 25-Apr-13 21:28:45

Lime is my favouritest thing ever, but the problem is I brought Nigella's chocolate lime cake with margarita cream to a NYE party with some of the same people, so I don't want to be a one trick pony.

Plus that time I got v pissed and showed off a lot about how amazed I was that it was really good, and ate most of it myself.

I think it's going to be Tiramisu unless Quint comes back to tell me about Black Forests.

LowLevelWhinging Thu 25-Apr-13 21:29:06

oh everyone loves eton mess, surely?!

and the messier the better.

Ebayaholic Thu 25-Apr-13 21:30:31

Dip cookies in baileys, whipped cream and crushed flake over the top and voila

lucjam Thu 25-Apr-13 21:30:33

If the main is a fondue no one will thank you for a heavy dessert. I promise you, you want something to cleanse the palate such a fruit or a lemon sorbet maybe with a light shortbread biscuit? Fondue is HEAVY, lovelt but heavy. Peppermint tea after is also nice.

RubyDanglesBangle Thu 25-Apr-13 21:33:44

It has to be Delia's Squidgy Chocolate Log. Looks like it took ages, and doesn't really. It's got no flour in it, so it's really light.
I can really recommend it.
recipe here

Ambridge Thu 25-Apr-13 21:33:56

I discovered Nigella's spiced baked plums (iyswim) from How To Eat, and have never looked back. They're child's play to make and taste bloody gorgeous. I serve them chilled with the cream she recommends too - half'n'half cream and Greek yogurt, sprinkled with brown sugar.

Honestly, it is heaven. And I can't bear Nigella, so for me to endorse anything of hers is proof enough.

ELR Thu 25-Apr-13 21:35:15

Paul Hollywood's chocolate pecan tart or Jamie Oliver's pine nut tart both are delish

Too rich after Fondue.

I suggest a simple puff pastry strawberry tart. Line heart shaped ovenproof dish with puff pastry, bake, add vanilla custard cream, halved strawberry, poor over thin layer of strawberry jelly, refrigerate to set.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now