Cookery bookclub - May - Jerusalem by Ottolenghi and Kitchen Diaries I by Nigel Slater

(522 Posts)
tigerlilygrr Thu 25-Apr-13 10:40:36

Come join the Mumsnet cookery bookclub! Each month we choose two cookery books - one popular, like Nigella / Jamie / Delia, so you probably already have it / can borrow it and one a bit more unusual. We cook a minimum of two recipes each - you choose the recipe, they just have to be ones you have never cooked before- which works out at four new recipes each month.Then we chat about them!

To see our April thread about Feast by Nigella and the Smitten Kitchen blog / cookbook, click here ... This thread is still live as we're quite taken with these books and are keeping on going!

For May, our books are:
- Jerusalem by Ottolenghi
- Kitchen Diaries
and we'll post on this thread.

For June our books will be
- Mexican Food Made Easy by Thomasina Miers
- Thirty Minute Meals by Jamie Oliver

We will always try to pick at least one book with recipes available on the Internet, and local libraries are great for cookbooks if you can order in advance, so don't be put off if your cookbook collection isn't threatening the foundations of your house extensive.

We have veggies, low carbers and 5:2ers on the thread so this is very diet compatible! Although I refuse to take any responsibility for cake-induced weight gain (even my own).

Pantah630 Fri 26-Apr-13 13:56:17

Hello most do look at Aprils thread as well, you still have time to cook from SK and/or Feast smile

DidIMissSomething Fri 26-Apr-13 14:30:30

I'd love to join too please! Tiger this is such a great idea - can't wait to get cooking.

Thanks, Pantah, will do! Feast is one of my favourite cookery books (and, I think, Nigella's best) but there are still plenty of recipes in there that I haven't tried yet. Looking forward to lots of happy cooking in the next few weeks smile

Kiriwawa Fri 26-Apr-13 17:02:11

Sumac on fried egg you say? hmm

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 26-Apr-13 20:09:34

Er - yes, sumac on fried egg is delish. Not sure about the humphy face.. If you don't like the sound of it, just don't try it!

Did you try it, Panteh ?

Kiriwawa Fri 26-Apr-13 20:52:31

I didn't mean that meanly - I meant it in a hmmm how weird and wonderful! Oh dear, I'm very sorry blush

I'm going to have it tomorrow

snoworneahva Fri 26-Apr-13 21:31:55

I'm going to try the sumac on fried eggs too.

Love that we are doing Mexican made simple in June as I have just eared most of the BBQ section, I had barely noticed it before - how come?

Not getting another Jamie Book....I will not buy any more cookbooks, sits on hands - love being in the company of people who read cookbooks like novels. smile

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 26-Apr-13 21:48:56

Oh, god, I'm sorry Kiriwawa.
May I please plead sleep-deprived irritability?!

You don't have to have it. Sumac-y eggs are not a penance wink

I hope that people don't hate sumac-y eggs now! I am oddly nervous about it...

Kiriwawa Fri 26-Apr-13 21:49:24

I'm so embarrassed that my post didn't even make any sense.

Hazel, in case it wasn't clear, I meant 'wow' rather than hmm and I will never use smilies on my phone again!

I bought some sumac when I was given Jerusalem and I haven't opened it yet (the sumac, not the book)

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 26-Apr-13 22:03:33

No no, I am apologising for being a twat!!

Kiriwawa Fri 26-Apr-13 22:10:32

X-post grin

No, you were quite right. I meant it in a stroking beard sort of hmm way but that doesn't come across online (plus I don't have a beard)

I am going to have it for lunch tomorrow and if I hate it, I won't hold you responsible, promise! But I will report back smile

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 26-Apr-13 22:20:01

blush grin

Pantah630 Sat 27-Apr-13 08:06:30

hazel I just tried the sumac on a fried duck egg, I must be doing something wrong or my jar of Barts Crushed Sumac is no good, because I can't taste anything but egg. I tried sprinkling a little on at first, then a lot, still nothing. I promise I gave up smoking four years ago and have my taste buds back in full working order but nada, not a thing. When I sniff the jar I'm only getting a very slight scent, is it defective or am I? sad

BetsyBell Sat 27-Apr-13 11:35:25

Marking place... smile

ScienceRocks Sat 27-Apr-13 23:14:04

<marks place>

Pantah630 Sun 28-Apr-13 13:59:02

Managed to find some barberries in a middle eastern grocers across town smile

I lost track of the other thread (I stop looking at them once they get over about 250 posts, as I find them too unwieldly) but I'm resolved to try one thing from at least every other book on these threads.

Feast - I did the mattar paneer last week (but was cheating, as I've done it before) and also another Guinness cake. I still intend to try bits of the Georgian feast but need to wait until a holiday to do so.

Next week, I want to try something from Kitchen Diaries, but I'm still really, really struggling as to what. I keep looking through it but v little is grabbing me. If anybody can recommend anything for a vegetarian who hates tomatoes and aubergines and whose children won't eat mushrooms, I will try it.

ELR Sun 28-Apr-13 14:23:40

Just found this thread didn't realise we had one specially for May! Marking place anyway.
remus try the pumpkin soup with crispy fried onions think its 1st of January it's really nice I do it with butternut squash though and use stock not water.

Xiaoxiong Sun 28-Apr-13 16:42:31

Remus is the recipe for baked onions with Parmesan in the Kitchen Diaries? DH and I often have those with a sharply dressed green salad and some crusty bread for dinner. They are delicious.

I wasn't on the previous thread so looking forward to cooking along! I cooked loads out of the KD a few years ago - the roast pork with lemon and fennel seeds is amazing. Also need an excuse to buy Jerusalem!

Xiaoxiong Sun 28-Apr-13 17:01:48

Now looking at the KD index the baked onions are in there - the chickpea and pumpkin curry is good too IIRC as is the baked aubergine with feta and pine nuts.

Xiaoxiong Sun 28-Apr-13 17:02:49

Oh whoops you hate aubergine!! Ok ignore latter suggestion (it is really good though, maybe you will be converted wink)

The soup and the chickpea and pumpkin curry both look nice, but are v v similar to the sort of stuff I cook all the time and no longer really need recipes for.

The onions look gorgeous though - I'll make those (but perhaps not use quite as much cream!). Thank you. Will have them with a mustardy dressed salad and some lovely bread, on a night when the dds are not eating with us (as they would probably not eat them).

Pantah630 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:04:45

remus Jerusalem has lots of vegetarian dishes that don't include aubergine, mushrooms or tomatoes. It's worth a look, apparently you can pull up recipes on google books if you haven't already got it.

Thanks - will have a google. I haven't got enough money or space for buying cookery books right now.

Xiaoxiong Sun 28-Apr-13 22:51:58

Yay! They are wonderful, truly. I've never had a problem with the amount of cream called for wink The onions end up lovely and soft and sweet so maybe your DDs wouldn't hate them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now