Cookery bookclub - May - Jerusalem by Ottolenghi and Kitchen Diaries I by Nigel Slater

(522 Posts)
tigerlilygrr Thu 25-Apr-13 10:40:36

Come join the Mumsnet cookery bookclub! Each month we choose two cookery books - one popular, like Nigella / Jamie / Delia, so you probably already have it / can borrow it and one a bit more unusual. We cook a minimum of two recipes each - you choose the recipe, they just have to be ones you have never cooked before- which works out at four new recipes each month.Then we chat about them!

To see our April thread about Feast by Nigella and the Smitten Kitchen blog / cookbook, click here ... This thread is still live as we're quite taken with these books and are keeping on going!

For May, our books are:
- Jerusalem by Ottolenghi
- Kitchen Diaries
and we'll post on this thread.

For June our books will be
- Mexican Food Made Easy by Thomasina Miers
- Thirty Minute Meals by Jamie Oliver

We will always try to pick at least one book with recipes available on the Internet, and local libraries are great for cookbooks if you can order in advance, so don't be put off if your cookbook collection isn't threatening the foundations of your house extensive.

We have veggies, low carbers and 5:2ers on the thread so this is very diet compatible! Although I refuse to take any responsibility for cake-induced weight gain (even my own).

kneedeepindaisies Tue 07-May-13 15:45:28

Xiao- I agree. The summer months are really inspiring.

sayanything Tue 07-May-13 18:57:12

Another vote for the cauli/hazelnut salad here, it was absolutely delicious (it really helped that the pomegranate I used was the ripest, juiciest one I've ever had).
My copy of Jerusalem arrived today but I stupidly left it at work. Do we have a [D'oh] emoticon?

Pantah630 Tue 07-May-13 21:33:52

The shwarma is delicious, we had it with rosemary roast new pots and steamed green veg tonight. Tomorrow it'll be going in pitta bread with tzatziki an salad. Will definitely be making this again, it was worth it just for the smell of the initial marinade grin

maniacbug Tue 07-May-13 21:42:15

<adds shwarma to list>
Hmm. I have just checked ingredients for cauli/hazelnut salad and my heart sank when I saw maple syrup listed, even though it's only a small amount. I really cannot bear the smell or taste of it. Those who've tried the salad already, does the maple syrup mingle and get lost amongst the other ingredients, or does it still come through? Do you think it would work if I substituted runny honey or agave syrup, or something else?

tigerlilygrr Tue 07-May-13 21:43:32

Ok I have broken already and ordered the ingredients for Nigel's brownies following the rave reviews... This will be my only lapse in no bake May!

tigerlilygrr Tue 07-May-13 21:45:29

Hi maniacbug! I reckon you can always swap agave for maple syrup. But perhaps someone who has tried the recipe is better placed to advise!

ELR Tue 07-May-13 21:52:50

tiger got my Abel and cole box yesterday and also three vouchers to give to friends for a free box, do you want a code if so I will pm you.

glorious Tue 07-May-13 21:56:24

Mmm the tahini cookies are amazing! The dough is very crumbly though. They remind me of Dan Lepard's tahini flapjacks which are also yummy. I really enjoyed the chicken with cardamom and onion too, very tasty for something so easy. And DD let me cook and eat both, hooray! (she's 13 weeks so it's been a while).

tigerlilygrr Tue 07-May-13 22:02:20

Ooh elr yes please that would be fab!

Pantah630 Tue 07-May-13 22:31:10

I will not break, I will not break......though cookies and brownies sound delicious.

Pantah630 Tue 07-May-13 22:32:51

I did break regarding cookbooks though, and got the original Ottelenghi cookbook on Kindle. There's even more fabulous recipes in there, I've bookmarked lots already.

ScienceRocks Tue 07-May-13 23:39:25

I made the courgettes with lemon and basil from kitchen diaries tonight. Delicious with sea bass and potatoes. The recipe is in August, I think.

Later this week I am planning to do the chicken with vermouth ash cream.

ScienceRocks Tue 07-May-13 23:40:00

Elr, if you have a spare Abel and cole voucher, I'd love it! Pretty please... thanks

Hunn1e Wed 08-May-13 06:57:19

maniacbug if you don't want it quite so sweet as maple syrup you could try pomegranate molasses (even Sainsburys do them now).

On the subject of pomegranate molasses - I used it drizzled over pigs in blankets at Christmas and everyone went mad for it.

I saw that somebody mentioned tamarind paste earlier - if you can't get it, use Worcestershire Sauce instead, very similar taste or WS mixed with a tiny bit of Marmite even closer.

DH and DD have upset tummies this week after restaurant at the weekend so I'm chomping at the bit for them to get better so I can get cooking again. The Nigel Slater first book still hasn't turned up so I guess it'll be Jerusalem again - oh dear, what a shame!

Tried two recipes yesterday, one from each book. For lunch I had Jerusalemite aubergine with crispy onion and lemon sauce. It was nice, light and felt good for me, but I won't rush to try it again. That said, I am not an aubergine fan, I thought the onion and feta topping delicious, but the aubergine only so so.

For the family I made Nigel pumpkin dhal- not fitting to the sunshine but DC wanted soup. I adapted to the slow cooker, and the smell was very nice through the house by evening. DC had it without the onion and chilli topping and both loved it. Dh and I both thought it could do with salt and cumin, the topping is essential IMO. Makes it a bit different and more of a meal iykwim.

ELR Wed 08-May-13 09:19:59

Hi tiger and science will pm you both later with a code the only catch was that you weren't already customers so should be fine.
pregnant I make that soup alot, well tats not true i make my version of it and add his topping! I nearly always use butternut squash and always use stock not water I often toast cumin seeds and then ground and add them usually always add a touch of chilli powder too.
Today I'm making the chicken alfreto or something like that can't remember as not got the book to hand it's basically roast chicken with potato and spices.

maniacbug Wed 08-May-13 10:48:50

Thanks, Hunn1e, great suggestion - I'm sure I have a bottle of pomegranate molasses lurking somewhere...

ELR Wed 08-May-13 14:35:20

It's actually chicken sofrito I'm asking and it smells amazing! Page 190 in Jerusalem

elr the Sofrito is amazing - my favourite from Jerusalem so far. I have to be honest I'm struggling to be inspired by KD so far but I'll find something. I made the Hazlenut & Cauli salad last night for the second time and really liked it again. In the spirit of the thread I am going to cook something from Jerusalem I haven't tried yet and I think its going to be the Tahini Cookies. I haven't done any pastry or pudding from it yet so I'll give it a go.

Those of you who have Abel & Cole - are they worth the money? I used to have a Riverford box delivered but found the quality was no better than my local market so I gave up on it.

glorious Wed 08-May-13 15:00:09

Enjoy the cookies English. Don't panic if the dough is very crumbly, just keep working it.

ELR Wed 08-May-13 15:57:57

english if you are in London and don't already gave an Abel and cole account I have one more voucher left for a free box. Also what did you eat with the sofrito?
I would recommend the lemon ice cream in KD.

Not in London but thanks for the offer. There's a farm nearby that has started a box scheme I might give them a try first. I just did steamed spinach with the Sofrito - I think it needs something quite leafy and iron rich.

Is the lemon ice cream quite tart? I prefer tart ice cream to anything super sweet.

ScienceRocks Wed 08-May-13 16:20:01

Slightly off topic, but I made the muscavado banana cake from KD2 today (for the second time). It is sensational, even with reduced bananas (he says a stonking 400g which is a huge number of bananas - I use 4) and half nuts and chocolate instead of all chocolate.

ELR Wed 08-May-13 16:20:34

Yes it's lovely and tart! Was thinking the same, i am doing the kids broccoli and maybe courgettes with lemon for me and DH.

ScienceRocks Wed 08-May-13 16:23:11

Slightly off topic, but I made the muscavado banana cake from KD2 today (for the second time). It is sensational, even with reduced bananas (he says a stonking 400g which is a huge number of bananas - I use 4) and half nuts and chocolate instead of all chocolate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now