Salmon and what for tea???

(19 Posts)
nextphase Tue 23-Apr-13 12:13:45

DH has left me and the kids (2 and 4, as near as) some over cooked, steamed salmon, and dissapeared for the week.
I need to go to the supermarket, as Sainsburys delivered mouldy bread, so can pick some things up. No creamy sauces please.

What should we have for dinner?

Lookslikerain Tue 23-Apr-13 12:31:17

My dc are 1 and 3 and love pasta with flaked salmon, pesto and creme fraiche. I make my own pesto (pesto snob grin), add some defrosted frozen peas (cooked in with the pasta for last 2 minutes) and a cooked grated courgette. Maybe some lemon juice too. Lots of black pepper on mine.

You could easily leave the creme fraiche out if that's too creamy.

They don't know the courgette is there because it's all green anyway, and the strong pesto flavour means they eat the salmon too (fusspot 3 year old who couldn't be paid to eat an oily fish).

ouryve Tue 23-Apr-13 12:32:40

It's new potato and asparagus season, if your budget will stretch.

Or you could throw it into a kedgeree, if it's not all that delicious.

Lookslikerain Tue 23-Apr-13 12:33:00

Or fish cakes? I'm sure there'd be some good recipes on the bbc good food website.

smoothieooo Tue 23-Apr-13 12:35:10

Puy lentils and steamed spinach (my personal fave with salmon)

SacreBlue Tue 23-Apr-13 12:42:27

"Selection plate" as my DS puts it - sticks of carrot, cheese, peppers, some lettuce, tomato, lemon to squeeze over the top. Bit of bread and butter or cold pasta or rice to carb up (cold rice sandwiches mmmm) basically a bit of everything that's easy for the kids to nibble on, we've had fruit, potato salad, nuts not for your DCs tho baby sweetcorn, sugar snaps, boiled egg... endless list of possibles.

Finger food, colourful, min prep time.

Autumn12 Tue 23-Apr-13 12:42:36

Vegetable rice is what I often have with Salmon fillets.

We always end up with stir fried veg, broccoli, sugar snap peas, red onion, etc, fried in a wok with garlic and then sesame seeds sprinkled on at the end. Plate up alongside salmon, add soy sauce.

nextphase Tue 23-Apr-13 15:36:17

looks like rain if your still around, how would you cook the courgette? before grating???

Think it will be yours or a "selection plate" = we call that help self, but the salmon really is a bit dry!

Needs to be flaked salmon, me thinks rather than the fillets. Some nice ideas for freshly cooked salmon tho, maybe not reheated..?

Pre5ld Tue 23-Apr-13 16:45:56

looks like rain that recipe sounds great and yes i second nextphase question - how to cook the courgette?

Lookslikerain Tue 23-Apr-13 16:48:54

I grate it then cook in a little oil to stop it sticking. I don't cook it very long, just to soften it off a bit then throw it altogether. I always feel quite sneaky making it as my kids have no idea they are eating courgette or salmon!

We had salmon with cous cous and roasted veg last week, very nice.

Lookslikerain Tue 23-Apr-13 16:51:13

Btw, Sorry I didn't see your message earlier. I have sick children right now. sad Hopefully I got back to you in time.

nextphase Tue 23-Apr-13 18:29:06

Thanks ladies.
pasta and pesto salmon is yummy. We didn't add the courgette in the end.

Pre I cooked the pasta (salmon already cooked and in the fridge), and pasta as per lookslikerain, and then tipped pasta and peas back into the pan after draining. Added a desert spoon of creme fraiche and a teaspoon of (shop bought) pesto and flaked salmon to the boys, more like a tablespoon of pesto and a teaspoon of creme fraiche to mine!. The remains are going to work with me tomorrow. It was Yummy. Not sure I could be bothered to make another pan dirty [lazy]

My next problem - what to do with the rest of the creme fraiche????

SacreBlue Tue 23-Apr-13 19:29:14

Oh that sounded lovely smile no idea what to use rest creme fraiche for tho - maybe on crêpes if you have a bit of honey or syrup & a banana?

Mynewmoniker Tue 23-Apr-13 19:35:35

Hairy dieters (bikers) use creme fraiche a lot in their diet recipes. I think it's a thickener instead of gravy granuals.

Bearandcub Tue 23-Apr-13 19:45:05

Stroganoff - Beef or Pork. Dice meat, brown. Leave to one side.Dice an onion, brown with oil. Add some butter and sliced mushrooms. Lower heat and allow to sweat. Tip the meat back in and add a ton of black pepper, salt, 1/2 stick cube and paprika. Chop up a green pepper and add with Creme fraiche and a bay leaf. Simmer for 15 min. Season again to taste. Serve with rice and green beans.

Lookslikerain Tue 23-Apr-13 20:12:14

Glad you liked it! It's on our menu every couple of weeks.

I use creme fraiche in lots of things, like stirring a spoonful into soup (especially spicy-type soups), or on top of chilli, mixed into sauces/gravies. And stroganoff, like someone else said. My in-laws use it with pudding, instead of custard.

Oh, there's a good recipe for Mexican lasagne in one of my books. You make chilli, layer it up with flour tortilla wraps, pot of creme fraiche on top of the last wrap, grated cheese on top. It's very good. I can post quantities if you like, but from memory, I think it uses a small pot of creme fraiche.

SacreBlue Tue 23-Apr-13 21:23:32

Ahh blush I would use other variations of creme ie full fat everything with forewords like cheese, chantilly, coconut, ice in those instances. More suited to the two fat ladies than the hairy dieting bikers!

Chilli & sour cream making me long for some nachos.....[missing a puddle of drool emoticon]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now