Nigella Recipes

(33 Posts)
NigellasLoveBuns Sun 21-Apr-13 00:08:54

I have every single Nigella Lawson book and I really enjoy reading all of them but a lot of the recipes seem to contain one or more ingredients that I suspect I would buy and then find months later at the back of the cupboard.
I have had varying degrees of success with the recipes that I have tried and I wondered if anyone else feels the same way. Which of Nigella's recipes have worked and which have been a disaster.

Lemonylemon Thu 25-Apr-13 14:17:23

From Nigella Bites: Pasta and meatballs; ham in coke.

NigellasLoveBuns Sat 27-Apr-13 00:37:05

Has anyone cooked the Salami with small pasta from Kitchen? I tried it and it was the most bland thing I have ever eaten. The ham hock in cider worked though and I have made that a couple of times. Her books just draw me in as I love her writing style. Sweet things seem to work better for me so I am going to try Guinness gingerbread this weekend and then pick out something savoury for next week and hope it tastes ok.

skorpion Thu 02-May-13 21:10:51

I love her choc orange cake for Christmas (Feast). Also made her quick choc mousse from Express and found that the recipe she says would feed 4 to 6 (I think) gave a bellyache to eight. There's masses of it and it's extremely rich. But oh, so delicious.

I have to say she does annoy me a bit with her descriptions on TV, but I do love her books.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 02-May-13 21:18:23

Barbados cream is great, it is very much a recipe of recipes of a lady of a certain age, a friend in her 70s serves it up as a fail safe years before it came out in Nigella'z book. Wasn't it one of her gran's recipes?

Feast is really good. I have cooked so much from there. The Georgian feast, yellow frankfurter soup,thing, Tunisian stew, the Eid feast. It is my favourite book of hers. Se underspices things though, so add more chilli and spice than she ever says.

GetOrfMoiLand Thu 02-May-13 21:19:17

Oh yes ham in coke.

Beef in Guinness from how to eat.

Some of the Sicilian recipes from Nigeliisima

littlemissnormal Thu 02-May-13 21:23:45

The Spanish chicken from Kitchen is a staple in our house, the marmalade pudding is always requested by DF and the margarita ice cream is heavenly!

DXBMermaid Thu 02-May-13 21:46:41

I love her baking recipes. In particular her white chocolate and cranberry cookies. Oh and her chocolate pistachio fudge.

Her savoury dishes I use more for inspiration then that I actually follow the recipe. I think her recipes are quite flexible and she often makes suggestions about swapping an ingredient.

I love reading her books and this thread has made me want to reread her books. Especially how to eat.

PleaseDontEatMyShoe Fri 03-May-13 13:38:36

Just done the damp lemon and almond cake from Domestic Goddess-AMAZING smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now