Beef joint & gravy in slow cooker at the same time?!

(6 Posts)

Good tip, thanks!

sashh Sun 21-Apr-13 03:27:59

Rub the flour into the meat otherwise it can go gloopy, you might need to thicken on the hob.

If it looks a bit low just add some boiling water.

dreamingofsun Sat 20-Apr-13 13:56:33

wouldn't have thought so. in mine it would increase even on hot setting. i would sling a load of liquid in - at least half full that way the meat would be kept moister.

Thanks! I was wondering if the gravy would boil dry before the beef cooks (my slow cooker isn't very slow, even on low!)

dreamingofsun Sat 20-Apr-13 10:30:02

of course, why not? with red wine i sometimes add a teaspoon of sugar so its not bitter. onions go nicely too and some herbs and maybe a clove of garlic. and if i'm doing a stew i sometimes add a teaspoon of mild mustard

Is this a brilliant idea or a stupid one? I'm going to cook a joint of beef in the slow cooker tomorrow. If I put gravy ingredients (red wine, stock, flour etc.) into the slow cooker as well, will it make its own gravy?! Am thinking that the beef juices would go directly into it for extra flavour...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now