Does anyone out there have any ideas to make Jerusalem artichokes edible?

(22 Posts)
duchesse Thu 18-Apr-13 08:43:02

I now have two nets of the things (from my box scheme) languishing in the bottom of the fridge, and very few ideas... More (ideas, not JA!) gratefully received!

tasmaniandevilchaser Thu 18-Apr-13 08:45:44

Give them to me! Seriously tho, they're lovely in a soup with bacon, no need to add cream, they are so creamy.

UptoapointLordCopper Thu 18-Apr-13 08:58:47

I have the same problem, but being a fan of spicy Chinese food I have found the only way to eat JA - slice thinly, heat oil with dried chilli and Sichuan peppercorn until your house is filled with toxic fume, fish out the dried chilli and Sichuan peppercorn unless you want more pain, stirfry JA with or without some meat. Eat with rice. Yum yum yum.

There's a great recipe for Jerusalem artichoke soup with curry oil in Leith's vegetarian book. (You just make a basic soup with the artichokes, onions, stock etc and then heat some oil and infuse with chili flakes, star anise, garlic and shallots and something else I can't remember right now). It's really really delicious.

seeker Thu 18-Apr-13 09:03:50

No. They are disgusting. My final attempt to make something edible with them was when ds was about 2. I was making soup, and he rushed into the kitchen crying and wailing "whassat SMELL, mum mum, whassat SMELL!" and he made me take the pan outside.

Leave them on your neighbour's doorstep as a little surprise.

JamNan Thu 18-Apr-13 09:34:55

They are revolting. Don't waste time in cooking them. Throw them in the bin.

MasterOfTheYoniverse Thu 18-Apr-13 10:15:08

Shaved in salad (as you would use fennel) with a zesty lemon vinaigrette, orange segments and fresh herbs?

A la dauphinoise with a breadcumb/garlic&parsley butter crust they are fantastic! No cheese.

A la dauphinoise, again no cheese but a dash of truffle oil befores serving.

Thickly sliced and fried in a little butter, garlic, parsley & bacon bits. Eaten as a side or a main over spinash salad leaves.

JA and stilton soup

snoworneahva Thu 18-Apr-13 13:19:58

Gordon Ramsey makes a fabulous jerusalem artichoke risotto with scallops.

duchesse Thu 18-Apr-13 16:33:24

Ooh, thanks everyone! Some of these ideas sound almost palatable. Bacon can of course sell almost anything it's in.

NotAnotherPackedLunch Thu 18-Apr-13 16:39:47

I love them roasted or made into soup.
Has anyone warned you yet what they do to you? wink

duchesse Thu 18-Apr-13 16:47:58

The fartichoke effect?

NotAnotherPackedLunch Thu 18-Apr-13 17:09:02

That's the one.
Depending on the batch the results can be very impressive and uncomfortable if stuck in a work meeting.

sommewhereelse Thu 18-Apr-13 17:14:33

I love them! They are lovely roasted and in Delia's Jersulame Artichoke and Carrot soup.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Thu 18-Apr-13 17:36:08

I bloat and fart just looking at them. Seriously, never known a food like it.

bruffin Thu 18-Apr-13 17:47:28

Never had them before a couple of weeks ago and made the loveliest soup i have ever had this recipe. Didnt read about fartchokes until afterwards, and waited for the side effects but the air remained fraigrant for all of us

duchesse Fri 19-Apr-13 19:14:34

I tried the bacon and JA thingie last night and I thought it was lovely! The DC were not enthralled alas. Difficult customers.

Speckledy Mon 22-Apr-13 11:21:23

I had a bag of JA's and a celeriac lurking in the fridge so decided to chuck both together into a mixed mash yesterday. I thought it was OK but 2-year old DS was the most excited he's been about a new food for ages, wolfed it down and asked for seconds and thirds. I was gobsmacked as he hates mashed potato and is usually deeply suspicious of anything with a mashed or pureed consistency. I was then waiting for him to be up all night with wind but that didn't happen either. I bet next time I offer the same thing he decides he doesn't like it after all.

tb Thu 25-Apr-13 14:33:08

Cooking them with celery in the water removes most of the fart potential.

The last ones dh and I had - before I read about the celery - we were doubled up with the most painful farts imaginable. Dh then refused to eat them ever again.

In France, they're also sold as crosnes in the Limousin, so be warned if you're in the SW on holiday and think of buying them.

As an aside, they are grown for the commercial production of inulin - the fibre 89 needed by all those on the Cambridge Diet to avoid terrible constipation.

CMP69 Thu 25-Apr-13 15:51:41

Never even seen one in RL but Jaime O seems to be a fan, try his website

WadsCollop Thu 25-Apr-13 15:52:59

Feed them to animals

slhilly Thu 25-Apr-13 16:01:20

They are fabulous and delicious. Roasting or gratinating are the easy options. If you want fancy-shmancy, Raymond Blanc's cookbook about Le Manoir has a spectacular jerusalem artichoke mousse recipe in it -- you turn out the mousse onto the plate. It's amazingly tasty, and looks super. But it requires you to peel them, which is a bit of a bugger.

BetsyBell Sat 27-Apr-13 09:31:24

They are tasty in soup but they hurt my guts so much I completely avoid now. Not just farting issues but painful painful bloat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now