Easy dessert ideas ... no raw eggs

(11 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Thu 11-Apr-13 08:51:35

We've got friends coming tomorrow night and I'm stumped for dessert.

Both she and I are pregnant, so can't do chocolate mousse (my fave!).

I would also like to make in advance, i.e. today. Was thinking of just doing a crumble, but it wouldn't survive 24 hours would it, without going all manky?

Also easy would be good! Doesn't need to be a whizzy impressive dessert, just something nice and tasty, preferably chocolate.

Any ideas really appreciated, thank you.

PinkyCheesy Thu 11-Apr-13 09:13:04

Egg-less choc pots: stir double cream into melted dark choc, add a splash of liqueur (optional), pour into tiny cups or bowls. Leave in fridge a couple of hours to set.

Serve with biscuits/wafers/fresh raspberries/coulis/whatever.

prettybird Thu 11-Apr-13 09:14:51

Two really easy desserts - but which taste impressive.

Grape cream : lots of seedless grapes. Stir in some sour cream or Greek yoghurt (enough to coat all the grapes) and some brown sugar (dark muscovado preferably, but any brown sugar would do ). Leave to all meld together.

Barbados mousse : whip some double cream. Stir in an equal amount of Greek yoghurt and whip together again. Put in to pretty serving glasses. Put a layer of dark muscovado sugar on top, leave in fridge to let the sugar dissolve in to a lovely soft layer on top. Before serving, you can although I don't usually bother put a little bit more muscovado sugar on for a bit of crunch.

sheeplikessleep Thu 11-Apr-13 09:23:21

Pinkycheesy - that sounds delicious and easy. What is the ratio of cream to choc? <Paranoid about it not setting>

Prettybird - they sound lovely too.

I'll see what DH thinks of both, thank you

PoppadomPreach Thu 11-Apr-13 09:27:26

It's not chocolate, but it is the easiest lemon ice cream recipe ever!

1 jar of good lemon curd
1 tube of full fat crime fraiche

Mix well, freeze, et voila - wonderful lemon ice-cream!
Would probably be nice eaten with good quality dark chocolate - so you can get your fix that way!

Drladybird Thu 11-Apr-13 12:45:31

This chocolate and prune mousse doesn't have eggs but a tofu base. It's surprisingly wonderful!

Also, I think you could make a crumble- just keep the layers seperate and in the fridge and then put them together before baking...

ohforfoxsake Thu 11-Apr-13 12:46:51

Nigella's chocolate and raspberry pavlova. Dead easy, looks impressive and is utterly lush. smile

ohforfoxsake Thu 11-Apr-13 12:48:01

Oh, you can do the meringue today, store in an air-tight container and heap on the cream, raspberries and chocolate scrapings tomorrow.

<hungry now>

ChilliJo Fri 12-Apr-13 10:26:08

You can make crumble in advance. Just stew the fruit and cool and put it in the fridge and make the crumble and store separately in the fridge. Then assemble on the cooking dish just before you put it in the oven smile

babybouncer Fri 12-Apr-13 11:27:37

My go-to dessert (after a recommendation on here!) is Eton mess. You can buy ready made meringues or make them yourself (in which case you could do flavoured ones), any sort of fruit, nuts, chocolate etc and just whip the cream yourself, assemble in one big bowl or in individual dishes.

My fave combination is bananas, chocolate drops and hazelnuts.

BIWI Fri 12-Apr-13 11:35:47

Lemon possett

Perfect for you - you need to make it in advance to allow it to set, but it will take you no more than 10 minutes to make. And it's delicious.

(If you wanted shortbread, buy some!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now