Cake Pops

(40 Posts)
Mouseface Wed 10-Apr-13 17:19:21

HELP!!

I am a cake pop virgin blush and have my lovely DS's 4th Birthday coming up on May 2nd.

I want to do something different for him, his nickname is Nemo and ideally, would love to do lots of little Nemo's but doubt I'll pull that off. grin

So, I'm thinking pigs, cows, farm animals, or zoo animals as he loves both. Something fairly simple shape wise, but fun smile

Can anyone please, please help and tell me what I need to buy, do I use a mould or free hand to make the pops, I know I need sticks, what is candy milk? Are most things available in the supermarket these days. Should I avoid YouTube and am I better off just buying him a cake? Please be honest. He's very precious to us and I'd love to do something different.

He's not having a party as such, because he has complex SN but he also hates noise, crowds and lots of fuss so it'll just be a few friends and close family smile

Thank you in advance if you answer.

Masterchuff Wed 10-Apr-13 18:19:55

I just made 100 for a wedding and have 15 to make for next week. They should be made from crumbled cake & frosting for authenticity and I have no idea how just cake would stay on the stick but it must work as so many do it that way. I find them easy and I'm not arty and have made all sorts. And Maureen, adding oil to candy melts is a must!

MaureenMLove England Wed 10-Apr-13 18:26:51

See, I tried making them the authentic way, but I couldn't get them to stay on the stick! Much easier to stick the stick in a solid cake, iyswim.

Gerrof Wed 10-Apr-13 18:37:40

Ooh look at the pictures!

I am no help at all OP because I can't bake shit, but you do sound lovely and hope the party goes well.

I lurk on cake threads as I am always slightly awed by those people who can decorate cakes. It's completely beyond me. I bought a Peggy Porschen book and it looks fiendishly complicated.

LadyMountbatten Wed 10-Apr-13 19:15:44

I RECOMMEND A CHILD AND the machine

Dancingqueen17 Wed 10-Apr-13 19:29:15

As an alternative to cake pops, cookie pops are a piece of cake! Basically just use a regular shortbread recipe and cookie cutter of you choice and then stick stick into bottom. Then decorate with anything you like really. Vv simple but loved by kids.

FuckThisShit Wed 10-Apr-13 19:39:10

Maureen - I don't add anything to the candy melts.

As Masterchuff (love your name) says, to do 'authentic' ones does, IMO/E make the whole process much easier. When one makes 100+ in a go, the right mix, ingredients etc makes it a breeze.

Gerrof (tis me, Frank), come to stay (DD can bugger off with my big DDs) and I will teach you as much as I can. It may need a couple of days though, with our likely wine consumption...

Gerrof Wed 10-Apr-13 20:42:20

Ooh frank it's YOU.

A cake making sleepover would be brilliant. Cn you imagine though, we would probably get t weighing ingredients and then just drink the wine whilst they sat there.

I can't bake cakes. Which is fine as I don't like them much but I love biscuits and they are beyond me as well. I tried to make some one day, destroyed four batches of different recipes and I was hysterical when dd came and and shrieked at her 'help me with that bastard fucking biscuits' and she had to take over.

The biscuit pops sound a great idea (how do you stick the stick into a biscuit though?) as you could do a memo shaped and then decorate them with that glossy run out icing or whatever it is called which always looks so pretty.

Gerrof Wed 10-Apr-13 20:43:08

Nemo not memo

Mouseface Thu 11-Apr-13 10:08:49

I'm loving the wine drinking cake pop making get together you two! grin

Thank you all for your suggestions, the lovely FuckThisShit has helped me out with the pops and the lovely lucamom has helped me to source the perfect topper for his cake so I will have a mixture of pops and big cake for his big day.

I actually got rather sentimental over the fact that he's almost 4 when posting yesterday, we didn't think he'd reach 2 or 3 years old, never mind 4! So thank you all for taking the time to help me out smile thanks xx

Mouseface Thu 11-Apr-13 10:19:51

Just a quick question - which is better, frosting sheets or rice paper? Some of the toppers are rice paper, some frosting sheets.

Clueless as ever, I'd like a bit of advice as to which to go for, the icing under the image will be white btw. smile

FuckThisShit Thu 11-Apr-13 10:22:18

Arf! Gerrof, yes I can see that happening! Any excuse eh?!

Dear Mouseface, he's a special little chap and an absolute inspiration. You are most definitely allowed to get all sentimental. I'm looking forward to making them and seeing his little face!

FuckThisShit Thu 11-Apr-13 10:23:28

I've used both and prefer frosting sheets, but either option is fine.

Mouseface Thu 11-Apr-13 10:27:19

Thanks lovely, I shall be taking plenty of pics of the finished cake and said boy as long as I can get him to sit near it! grin

I like the look of the frosting sheets as they seem to have more depth to them. smile

FuckThisShit Thu 11-Apr-13 10:29:53

grin

Dancingqueen17 Thu 11-Apr-13 12:15:52

To do the cookie pops you stick the stick into the bottom of the biscuit before you put them in the oven and then bake with stick in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now