NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Spaetzle

(17 Posts)

Can I buy this in England? In Switzerland they sell it cooked, in vac packs a bit like we can buy gnocchi here. I love it fried in butter with bacon but haven't seen it anywhere here.

nemno Tue 09-Apr-13 19:53:53

The only places I've found any is the dried sort from Ocado. There are german speciality shops online but I don't know they'll have it.

Rosa Tue 09-Apr-13 19:54:05

I make it but you need one of the thingys that make them into fat worm shapes.

MousyMouse Tue 09-Apr-13 19:59:01

german deli might sell (and deliver) them. or have a look at the german baker van, maybe they stop near you?

Nemno, is the dried one okay? I'm guessing you just pre cook it then cool and use it like fresh??

Thanks Mousy but I live in the north smile

MousyMouse Tue 09-Apr-13 20:01:21

the dried ones are just like pasta imo, not at all like delicious dumplings.

nemno Tue 09-Apr-13 20:03:13

It's not as good as fresh homemade but we still like it, I don't know the vac packed one you refer to. I need to get myself one of the things Rosa mentions, my cousin has one and it is very simple.

Waitrose sell Fresh Del'Ugo gnocchetti which are very similar. I have the fat worm shape thingy making device mentioned by Rosa and make lovely spinach spaetzles. Bought it on holiday in Northern Italy though, never seen them in shops here.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 09-Apr-13 20:04:56

It's 'German week' in Lidl from THursday - they're advertising it from then.

here

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 09-Apr-13 20:05:55

Looks like the dried version however.

MousyMouse Tue 09-Apr-13 20:06:07

apparently a potatoe ricer works as well.

MousyMouse Tue 09-Apr-13 20:06:56

<really wants käsespätzel now>

doradoo Tue 09-Apr-13 20:08:32

You can grate the dough with a coarse cheese grater to get the worm shapes too.

nemno Tue 09-Apr-13 20:10:21

I was just about to say I ought to try my potato ricer with the large hole insert. Brilliant you think it will work Mousy smile

Thanks everyone. I think I will have a go at fresh and use the cheese grater grin

doradoo Tue 16-Apr-13 06:06:24

How did it go? I have a 'set' here (scraper/grater etc) but not been brave enough to try yet. Fortunately I can buy it in the shops ;)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now