NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Cheap, easy and SATISFYING veggie meals

(34 Posts)
DefiniteMaybe Tue 09-Apr-13 16:37:44

I can no longer afford to eat meat at the rate we are so I'd like to aim for two meat free days per week. But whenever I've tried doing veggie meals before they've either been horrible or not left us still hungry.
We're not overly keen on tomatoey meals but everything else is fine. Please could you share some yummy meat free meal ideas with me.

syndi Tue 09-Apr-13 22:06:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Thanks sweetkitty! I'll try that. Love a lentil grin

sweetkitty Tue 09-Apr-13 22:20:09

Me too lentils rock grin

I honestly just make things with lentils and veggie stock and whatever else is around, veg, beans etc

AnimatedDad Wed 10-Apr-13 07:29:20

As people have said, there are lots of good veggie recipes and its more about the way you feel about it than the food itself.

Try breaking yourself in gently. Last night I had veggie sausages and mash. Not that original I know but a full, filling meal (cauldron, or quorn are the best although not much cheaper than meat)

Veggie mince in a lasagne or shepherds pie isn't that much different (add a spoonful of marmite and a bit more herbs than you normally would). It tastes less greasy than meat, but all the better for that I think.

Also quorn chunks in a pie (in a white sauce with mushrooms and tarrigan makes a good chicken pie substitute).

stressedHEmum Wed 10-Apr-13 13:11:11

Aye, it's delicious, sweetkitty. Sadly my DD won't eat it, it reminds her of "how much I hate sweet potatoes and pineapples, yeucchh!" so I don't make it very often.

I love lentils, as well. This week, we're having lentil spread on toast for a couple of lunches, cheesy lentil stew for tea and some lentil and potato soup. There's a bit of a theme going on because I get a box of ten bags every month from Amazon subscribe and save.

higgle Wed 10-Apr-13 18:39:32

the vegetarian society have loads of nice recipes on their web site.

DefiniteMaybe Thu 11-Apr-13 08:29:39

Thanks everyone loads of great things to try. I'm going to do the mushroom and broad bean risotto tonight.

liveinazoo Fri 12-Apr-13 12:28:12

I can confirm that forevergreeks mushroom and broadbean risotto is very popular with kids-4 zoolets ram it post haste!

thanks for that 1!

forevergreek Fri 12-Apr-13 13:30:25

Excellent!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now