tins of different beans, lentils, squash - what can i make?

(4 Posts)
blurryeyegirl Tue 09-Apr-13 15:08:51

anyone have any god wholesome low GI recipes I can try out tonight? I have a freezer full of different meats, have some veg, and the basic pasta, rice, potatoes etc. but no inspiration - does anyone have any idea what i can make for dinner?

thanks smile

JamNan Tue 09-Apr-13 15:19:48

I always find Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes inspiring - recipes here

BlingLoving Tue 09-Apr-13 16:23:31

Roasted veg with lentils is delicious - roast chunks of veg. Cook lentils. Mix up with a lemon/olive oil dressing.

Or a lentil stew - fry onion and garlic plus leeks/celery etc (if you have). Add chopped bacon/chicken/sausage. Also chopped and peeled squash/courgettes/similar. Add lentils and stock and herbs (I like thyme with a bit or rosemary, but you can do what you like) and cook (if tinned, use less stock as you're really just heating the lentils but you do want it all to fuse together - if using chunker veg you may need to pre-cook them a bit first, but I seem to recall that tinned lentils can still take a surprising amount of cooking. Not sure though as I use regular ones when doing stews or casseroles).

Ditto, bean stew is even easier - chopped onion and garlic. Chopped bacon/sausage. Add tomatoes (tinned or fresh) and beans. Top up with stock if needed. Salt, pepper and a dash of balsamic vinegar. Cook for a few minutes. Eat.

syndi Tue 09-Apr-13 22:18:40

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now