Salmon fishcakes - in the interests of thrifyness

(5 Posts)
Gales Tue 09-Apr-13 12:38:23

I have a favourite recipe for salmon fishcakes using tinned salmon.

What do you reckon they'd be like with tinned mackerel, or some other cheaper fish?

DorisShutt Tue 09-Apr-13 12:53:29

Fine. I do this with salmon to tuna etc - just watch the oil levels.

MERLYPUSS Tue 09-Apr-13 21:49:13

I use tinned pilchards in tomato sauce but drain a lot of the sauce off. Add mashed potato, chopped onion, corriander, cumin and whatever else takes my fancy. Roll in breadcrumbs or semolina.

PinkyCheesy Tue 09-Apr-13 22:23:40

I make 40 fishcakes at a time (freeze them cooked, and oven-bake from frozen) and use part Pollock/coley/similar, part smoked haddock, and then a tin of salmon/sardines/mackerel for the fish oil.

I tend to buy odd bits of fish here and there, eg if reduced, and freeze the individual fillets, then poach them in milk before mixing with the mash. The fishy milk is then used to make fishy white sauce to freeze (for future fish pie, or salmon-en-croute)

50:50 fish:mash, coated in flour, egg, breadcrumbs/panko and fried. Kids love them. Take about 25 mins to oven-cook from frozen (same as frozen chips, coincidentally!)

JamNan Wed 10-Apr-13 11:01:13

Smoked mackerel makes nice fish cakes and doesn't cost much if you go for the budget packs (maybe add a dash of horseradish to the mix). Smoked salmon pieces (if on offer) are also good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now