crumpets and doughnuts?

(10 Posts)
LeBFG Tue 09-Apr-13 09:11:59

Having been increasingly confident making bread, I've recently started branching out with some other yeasty recipes. So I've a couple of questions.

Have you ever made crumpets and doughnuts? When i try these fried dough recipes the batter always gets really greasy and dark brown whatever i do. Ant tips to avoid this?

TheFallenNinja Tue 09-Apr-13 09:12:39

Marking my spotsmile

Artesia Tue 09-Apr-13 12:51:43

I make crumpets and pikelets, although am no expert. When you cook the crumpets, do you use fat? I cook mine in a dry pan (suggested by recipe, not trying to be healthy!). Wonder if that might make a difference?

Theicingontop Tue 09-Apr-13 13:28:08

Home made doughnuts are amazing!! I don't make them too often because I eat them all because they're a bit of a project, but when I do, they are very impressive. Easily frozen too.

Krispy Kreme copycat recipe

LeBFG Tue 09-Apr-13 13:35:30

How do you stop them browning too much Theicingontop? If I fry them long enough to cook them, they turn appetisingly brown. If I turn the heat down, they absorb lots of oil confused.

I could cook crumpets with no fat as you do Artesia but the recipes insist on giving the pan and rings a good greasing. I shall try without next time to see if this improves them!

Theicingontop Tue 09-Apr-13 13:40:53

You have to get the oil just right, I make them in a large deep frying pan on the stove. If you have a thermometer it will help, the recipe has the perfect temperature in it. I don't have one, I use the doughnut holes as a tester and adjust it as I go.

I'd love to try crumpets!

LeBFG Tue 09-Apr-13 13:55:24

Oh yes, I didn't see the temp. Great idea about using the holes smile. Will try.

I love doughnuts and crumpets too grin [greedy icon] and live somewhere where they sell neither so I'm rather obliged to make if I want them.

Artesia Tue 09-Apr-13 17:07:31

LeBFG, am holding you entirely responsible for the fact that I have just eaten four two crumpets slathered with butter and jam

(looks at thighs and weeps)

jennimoo Thu 11-Apr-13 06:54:25

I think the bottom of the pikelets I make probably are a little greasy but I reckon a good non stick pan would mean no oil, and how about kitchen roll to soak up the oil?
I use this recipe
http://m.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/nov/14/crumpets-muffins-pikelets-farls?cat=lifeandstyle&type=article

LeBFG Thu 11-Apr-13 12:52:50

Thanks for the link. Personally I always find HFW suceeds remarkably well with his recipes and when I try to follow them, I fail remarkably well!

I think with the crumpets you're right. Mininum greasing. I've just bought a crepe pan with which my neighbour makes the thinnest crepes with no oil shock. Hoping this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now