leftover chicken

(11 Posts)

Whenever we roast a chicken I strip all the meat off and freeze it. I am desperate for some fresh ideas what to do with these leftovers. I would love some soup ideas and something spicy if poss.
TIA

trashcansinatra Mon 08-Apr-13 19:28:49

Risotto is a favourite. Nice base with good stock, some wine, add green beans or peas and throw in the chicken and loads of Parmesan.

trashcansinatra Mon 08-Apr-13 19:31:41

For spicy, what about a stir fry. Add the normal veg, your chicken and a sauce of garlic, chilli, lemongrass, ginger, soy, lime juice, tiny amounts of fish sauce and sesame oil, palm sugar and some coriander. Works well with leftover roast beef too.

Secretservice Mon 08-Apr-13 19:37:06

How about a warm salad with wild rice, chicken, mango, chilis, globe ginger and pistachio nuts. Tis delicious. If you fancy it I can PM or post the full recipe.

ooh yes please secret
thanks all for posting

ByTheWay1 Mon 08-Apr-13 20:40:04

A quick lunch - a chicken oxo, water, sweetcorn, leftover chicken and a few noodles from one of those fine Chinese nests..... Yum

Startail Mon 08-Apr-13 20:42:45

Onion, Thai green curry paste to taste, as much of a tin of coconut milk as you can getaway with without making soup.

justaweeone Mon 08-Apr-13 20:43:59

Cook some tagliatelle with some green beans
Add cooked chicken and some red or green pesto depending on taste
Top with some grated Parmesan and a grind of black pepper
Yum!

sharond101 Mon 08-Apr-13 22:20:20

fajitas
chicken, pesto and pasta
chicken + vegetables in tomato sauce wrapped in filo pastry = chicken strudel
chicken and sweetcorn crepes

MrsPnut Mon 08-Apr-13 22:24:17

My roast chicken leftover meals are usually chicken and leek pie (with ham if we've had gammon as well) or a chicken and chorizo paella type thing.
I fry off onion and peppers before adding a sliced up chorizo. I then add a bit of paprika and some smoked paprika along with some liquid stock concentrate and some frozen mixed veg. Add some paella or arborio rice and enough boiling water to cover. Simmer until the rice is cooked and then add some chopped parsley and the juice of a lemon and stir through.

Secretservice Tue 09-Apr-13 20:28:29

Sorry this is so late.

salad dressing: mix/shake
5 tbsp oil. I use a mix of groundnut and olive
2 tbsp white wine or cider vinegar
1/4 tsp dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp honey
1 ginger globe and a splash of the syrup
2 fresh red chiles, seeded and chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Cook a mix of basmati and wild rice in a chicken stock (I usually use the left over gravy that went with the leftover chicken). Once cooked and drained pour over half of dressing and leave to cool

Blanch a couple of handful of green beans
Peel and slice 2 small mangoes, peeled
A handful of pistachios, shelled (or whatever nuts I have in)
Fresh coriander
squeeze of lemon juice

Put all together in big bowl, with the chicken and pour the rest of dressing over whole salad

It's a bit fiddly, but well worth the effort. Promise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now