NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Does everyone have fish on Good Friday?

(14 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Sat 30-Mar-13 08:51:46

It never crossed my mind but we are not at all religious. I think it is quite traditional if you are though. We had Mexican - only traditional food in our house this time of year is chocolate smile

yummymumtobe Sat 30-Mar-13 08:49:16

I wonder why we traditionally eat fish on a Friday. When I was at school we had fish and chips on a Friday too. Brightwell - well done on resisting hot cross buns till good Friday! We have them as soon as they hit the shops!!

I am in scotland too (near glasgow) but the school dinners at dd's alternate fish and chips between a Thursday and Friday each week even though it is a combined campus with a Catholic school and non-denominational school on the same site.

sleepyhead Fri 29-Mar-13 21:01:01

We did, but it was a cooincidence. Friday is quite often fish night though, not for religious reasons but I guess it's quite culturally ingrained up here (Glasgow). School dinners were always fish on a Friday (not Catholic).

Never heard of it until reading another thread on here.

(Eating fish on Good Friday, not fish itself)

Flisspaps Fri 29-Mar-13 20:54:36

Nope.

Friday night is chilli night in this house.

BestIsWest Fri 29-Mar-13 20:53:58

Yes, cod. Always do.

insanityscratching Fri 29-Mar-13 20:51:01

We had fish, pan fried cod, always have had on Good Friday, mind you we have fish most Fridays if I'm honest.

newgirl Fri 29-Mar-13 20:48:17

Hot cross buns for breakfast

Curry for dinner - chicken

nope, we hardly ever have fish as i dont like it much. The kids didnt even have fish fingers! Not catholic, christian or anything else though so it doesnt matter to us.

Clayhead Fri 29-Mar-13 20:42:12

We did!

brightwell Fri 29-Mar-13 20:41:51

I always have, and we don't have hot cross buns until Good Friday.

deemented Fri 29-Mar-13 19:55:46

Nope, i didn't. Because, although raised Catholic, i'm not a believer in anything.

yummymumtobe Fri 29-Mar-13 19:54:25

We do - it almost feels like the 'law' like turkey on Christmas day! But is this a common tradition or a bit outdated?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now