Nigella's sticky toffee pudding without dates?

(11 Posts)
VenetiaLanyon Thu 28-Mar-13 10:13:42

Thanks folks; fed-up, you give me hope!

Willowisp Wed 27-Mar-13 21:01:40

I pour boiling water over the dates & them purée. The mix is a bit heavier, so each time I've made it, I've added more liquid (water or milk).

I love sticky toffee pudding but hate dates...I put them in and chop them small, and it is delicious! I use the Delia recipe.

VenetiaLanyon Wed 27-Mar-13 16:46:45

I can't bear getting whole big bits of dates in a STP; perhaps I'll grit my teeth and add them in but as a puree. Will stick to the Nigella recipe as looks a lot less hassle than Jamie....

madamecake Wed 27-Mar-13 14:58:13

The Jamie Oliver one that WhinGin linked to is delicious. Bit of a faff making the sauce separately, but I make double the amount so I can have loads of sauce or eat it in its own with a spoon

snoworneahva Wed 27-Mar-13 14:58:12

I think you must have eaten dates without being aware of it...sticky toffee and dates belong in the same sentence.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 27-Mar-13 14:49:48

NB recipe here with no dates, but if you look at the picture, it does not look as unctuous as normal...

WhinGin Wed 27-Mar-13 14:49:27

Or you could try a recipe like this where the dates are pureed before adding to the batter so you would have no bits, but its an awful lot more faff than the all in one Nigella recipe because you have to make a separate sauce.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 27-Mar-13 14:48:14

I think most STP recipes have dates, don't they?
But unless you'd made it before, or had seen the recipe written down, you'd struggle to identify dates as a key component.

Venetia - if you love STP then you must have eaten the datey version!

WhinGin Wed 27-Mar-13 14:44:32

The dates are a big part of the flavour and fudginess of STP. Is it the Nigella recipe where you pour boiling water on the top of the cake batter? I haven't made it for ages <adds STP to the Easter menu> but it is good smile Dates are not like most dried fruit, sultanas etc, in that they kind of become part of the texture of the cake instead of being separate little nuggets, iyswim? You can chop them up really finely, maybe blitz in a processor, and I think you wouldn't notice them, but I think you would notice the lack of them if you missed them out. The pudding would really be missing something I think.

VenetiaLanyon Wed 27-Mar-13 13:35:40

Can this be done? Am not a big dried-fruit fan, but my love of sticky toffee pudding knows no bounds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now