Meals that require minimal washing up

(25 Posts)
KittenOfDoom Tue 02-Apr-13 02:22:33

I'm a great believer in lining roasting and baking dishes with foil. No greasy scrubbing, just discard the foil.

multitaskmama Mon 01-Apr-13 22:50:54

My one pot dishes are:

Chicken curry
Salmon curry
Veg curry
Shepherd's Pie
Chickpeas with potatoes
Chicken stir-fry
Steamed fish and veggies
Pizza (using naan as base which is a bargain at 4 for a £1)
Tomato and Basil soup
Meatballs

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 01-Apr-13 17:26:42

I watered down the left over gravy/vegetables and had it as soup for lunch today grin

Montybojangles Mon 01-Apr-13 12:50:01

Glad you enjoyed it Neither , we love it too

mamij Mon 01-Apr-13 10:17:33

Paella is a great one pot. Or chilli con carne.

Monty I tried the "roast" chicken recipe yesterday - it was delicious and fed me, DH and 2 large hungry boys, with left overs as well. Thank you for posting!

Montybojangles Thu 28-Mar-13 08:12:28

Fajitas. Or try these (I love bill granger):
www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/homestyle/bill-grangers-onepot-wonders-20111012-1lknv.html

I often make this as a weekend "roast" adding extras like carrots or squash. It is really delicious. I just use ordinary onion cut into wedges rather than faff with pealing lots of little shallots. www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/6289/onepot-chicken-with-braised-vegetables

Chicken Caesar salad. You only need a pan for chicken, dish up directly onto plates.
Chilli- one pan for the chilli and a pack of microwave rice. Curry same principal. Chuck pan in dishwasher after = no pots to clean.
Pasta- cook pasta and and drain, return to pan. Add sauce and stir in. My fave is philli cheese and variety of other cheeses (I use what's left if we have any dolce latte etc). Grate in Parmesan and grind black pepper then dish up. Only 1 pan.

issypiggle Thu 28-Mar-13 03:27:40

fish, get it prepared and put in a bag that can go in the oven at the supermarket-straight in the oven-no trays all you need is to just do some spuds

EMUZ Thu 28-Mar-13 02:36:12

Beef and red wine casserole?
Slightly bastardised jamie Oliver recipe (no browning)

Pan (one that can go in oven, I use a cast iron one)
Fry off chopped onion, couple of bay leaves and carrots in olive oil for about 5-10 mins. Add approx 500g chopped stewing/shin beef, one tbsp flour, tin chopped tomatoes and small bottle Guinness/stout/red wine. Stir
At this point I chuck in halved mushrooms, sometimes an oxo cube, it's quite forgiving!
Being to boil, put lid on dish and put in the oven for 3hrs (ish)
If it looks a little dry part way add water
I've included this because its one pan, no browning, and despit long cooking time takes about 15 mins to throw together

EMUZ Thu 28-Mar-13 02:31:30

If anything does stick to a pan my fail safe method is biological washing powder and v hot water. Soak and ignore it for a while. Come back to happy pan grin

DevonCiderPunk Wed 27-Mar-13 21:07:39

Thank you, brilliant suggestions! I like the idea of eating from the pan, will embrace that...

Xiaoxiong Wed 27-Mar-13 15:32:12

Along the lines of Totem - pasta with greens and cheese.

Cook pasta with lots of extra water, 3-4 mins from the end throw in greens. The pasta and the greens should be done about the same time. Drain most of the pasta water but reserve a few tablespoons - tip greens and pasta back into pasta pot, add cheese and stir well to melt and coat the greens/pasta.

Past combinations have included purple sprouting broccoli & dolcelatte, spring greens & taleggio, kale & fontina and spinach & feta & parmesan (don't add the spinach while the pasta is still cooking, add after you've drained the water, it's too tender for boiling).

Drladybird Wed 27-Mar-13 14:04:42

My most recent one pot wonder: chocolate and black bean chilli We ate it in tortilla wraps with cheese and rice. Would also be nice with avocado, sour cream and lettuce.

MERLYPUSS Wed 27-Mar-13 11:30:21

Heuvos rancheros.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Tue 26-Mar-13 19:47:29

Jacket potatoes

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 26-Mar-13 08:56:50

Chunky Soup/Broth is pretty easy, doesn't stick to the pot etc. Make it with plenty of tasty things like ham, beans, diced potato, herbs. Serve with crusty bread and butter ... sorted.

sashh Tue 26-Mar-13 04:38:03

Jamie Oliver used to do a big fry up and him and his mates sat around and ate out of the pan.

Have you got a steamer? Veg and chicken/fish in foil parcels all cooked together.

Raclette?

CointreauVersial Mon 25-Mar-13 23:22:23

KFC wink

TotemPole Mon 25-Mar-13 23:20:53

Smoked salmon and Philadelphia pasta.

Cook the pasta in a big saucepan, when it's cooked drain through a colander and leave to one side.
Use the same pan, add some milk, a large dollop of Phili with herbs or chives, put back on a lowish heat, keep stirring until it starts to thicken, add a squirt of lemon juice, some black pepper.
Add the pasta back to the pan and stir well, let it heat through a few minutes.
Lift the pan off the heat and add some smoked salmon trimmings.
Stir, the heat cooks the salmon.

If you want you could add frozen peas when you're cooking the pasta.

LoganMummy Mon 25-Mar-13 23:08:29

Anything you can do in the oven.

Salmon with green beans, potatoes and cherry tomatoes that cook in tinfoil parcels

Roast chicken/lamb with veg underneath so it's just one tray

Pizza (ready made bases from supermarket)

Fish fingers and waffles

fallenempires Mon 25-Mar-13 23:00:06

A tray bake such as chicken and chorizo or toad in the hole.

WannaBeANinja Mon 25-Mar-13 22:08:55

rissoto? I have no idea if that's Spelt correctly.

soup?
Stew?

DevonCiderPunk Mon 25-Mar-13 21:19:23

please... one-pot (or less) things that don't need sand-blasting off the pot/plate afterwards?

TIA...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now