NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Help! Urgent Appeal: Repeated Yorkshire Pudding Failure

(27 Posts)
NuhichNuhaymuh Mon 25-Mar-13 18:53:59

<weeps>

Aunt Bessies are better than mine

<breaks down hysterically>

I just cannot make them it seems, no matter what. As a rule I'm not a bad cook (unless everyone's lying to me!))

I just tried this

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9020/best-yorkshire-puddings

And produced several discus despite following it word for word

sad

TunipTheVegedude Mon 25-Mar-13 18:56:25

Are you sure you're getting your tin really really hot and putting the puddings straight in before it has a chance to cool down, and using a really hot oven?

What fat are you using?

TunipTheVegedude Mon 25-Mar-13 18:56:49

Are you resisting the temptation to open the oven to check how they're doing?

Gales Mon 25-Mar-13 18:58:04

Plain four and really really hot fat. Out and back into the oven quickly.

Or what Turnip said. It will work, I promise, provided that fat is hot and stays hot.

ArteggsMonkey Mon 25-Mar-13 18:58:56

They need to be right at the top of the oven and the tin and fat need to be really hot.

NuhichNuhaymuh Mon 25-Mar-13 19:34:41

Vegetable oil.

Possibly not hot enough. Though I had the tray in 20 mins before.

No didn't open the door, I shall try again soon!!!

dinkydoos Mon 25-Mar-13 19:37:31

As all othere have said, Hot hot hot! And when you think it's hot enough, even more hot!
It's the single most important thing..... grin

I make toad in the hole about once a week and yorkshires once a month - so I'm qualified to comment wink - contrary to what has been said, I don't get hung up on the hot oil. I get it pretty hot (I usually use rapeseed oil) but what makes them foolproof is the addition of an extra egg. Try it, never fails.

dinkydoos Mon 25-Mar-13 19:52:19

Ooh, now you have said that two , I always use far more eggs than recipes say. For a tray of 12 puddings I would use 4 smallish, medium eggs.
Maybe that's it!

NuhichNuhaymuh Mon 25-Mar-13 19:59:14

More eggs then - shall try.

I will succeeded some day!!!

TunipTheVegedude Mon 25-Mar-13 20:17:49

I wouldn't use a random vegetable oil in case it's something that doesn't get hot enough. <disclaimer - I don't understand the science of this, it's just received wisdom>. Rapeseed, sunflower, groundnut are all good, or lard. I use goosefat because I had goose for Xmas and have a lot of fat to use up.

Suttyshotty Mon 25-Mar-13 20:23:24

Lard is the key! Two eggs, plain flour, should be the consistency of double cream and leave the mixture to stand for 20 minutes while the tray gets hotter than the sun, 15-20 mind in the hottest oven, and you'll never touch any minging excuse for a yorkie that aunt Bessie churns out again, honest, lard!

CalamityKate Mon 25-Mar-13 20:30:58

Yep. You cant go wrong with an extra egg. Also it makes them extra tasty. Win/win.

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Mon 25-Mar-13 20:34:37

You don't need more egg - you need more egg white

This is what you need

115g pl flour
pinch salt
2 whole eggs
1 egg white
175ml milk
50 ml water

Hot oven

Lard or dripping

CalamityKate Mon 25-Mar-13 20:35:17

I don't know why I said tasty. I actually hate that word.

fallenempires Mon 25-Mar-13 22:34:58

This never fails I promise!
4 eggs
325ml milk
250g plain flour
Metal roasting tin or 12 hole metal muffin tin with generous bits of beef dripping in.
Beat the eggs and milk together and heat the pan for at least 15 mins on the highest heat possible for your oven.
Sieve in your flour and beat into the milk and eggs,then season.Pour batter into the tin or muffin tin and cook at 200oc for 20 mins.
These can be made in advance and then crisped up for a few mins before dinner,but they also freeze really well too.

Fallenangle Mon 25-Mar-13 22:46:32

12 yorkshires = 55g flour, 140ml semi skimmed milk, 1 egg, pinch salt. Smoking oil or lard, 220 degree oven, Muffin tins, 15 mins. Never fails.

sashh Tue 26-Mar-13 04:43:48

Lard or Dripping in the tin for 10 mins AT LEAST, the fat should smoke. Use a metal tin.

OK, believe me this works, you are not going to measure anything.

Get a large jug, break one or two eds into it and beat with a whisk.

Start adding plain flour a spoonful at a time and beating. Once it looks like double cream you are there.

If you have time leave it to 'rest' for 10 mins to 24 hours.

OK open the oven, your tin should be on the top with smoking fat, pull out the tray and quickly pour in your mixture - it should bubble at the edges a little. This is why you beat the mixture in a jug.

Put the tin back and close the oven. Wait 15 mins.

You should have a decent YP.

MusicalEndorphins Tue 26-Mar-13 04:57:53

A few extra tips
Use room temperature ingredients.
Beat the batter with a fork until large bubbles form and come to the top. Then let it sit on the counter for half an hour to an hour.
Then pour into a hot pan (I use beef drippings or melted butter).

NuhichNuhaymuh Tue 26-Mar-13 05:25:01

Ooh lovely lots of tips. My family will be eating lots of yorkies while i get this right!

PolterGooseLaidAChocolateEgg Tue 26-Mar-13 08:29:20

I find they are always best when I make them in a hurry, don't measure and don't whisk all the lumps out. Use more fat than you think too.

JamNan Tue 26-Mar-13 08:39:39

Lard, dripping or goose fat and it should be very hot with a haze coming off it.

Sift the flour to get some air in it.
How old is the flour? If it's been open a while or is past its use-by date bin it.

NuhichNuhaymuh Tue 26-Mar-13 17:35:20

OK I'm attemptong again now. My family will think I've gone clean mad!!!

1stMrsFrugal Tue 26-Mar-13 18:55:52

You need Nigella's (borrowed from Jane Grigson) Chinese Yorkshire Pudding recipe it never fails. Plus what everyone has said above about hot hot hot fat. If it doesn't have to be veggie, dripping will work better than vegetable oil as it will go to a higher temp. Goose fat works well too.

NuhichNuhaymuh Tue 26-Mar-13 19:07:00

<air kisses everyone on thread>

I did it!!!!!!

Used goose fat (as I had some) heated till it was smoking. I used James Martin's recipe this time (meaning more eggs than last time). I'd say it was the heat more than anything though.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

<throws thanks thanks >

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now