NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Very out of date butter - use or chuck?

(12 Posts)

Best before means its safe forevermore but I will be at its best until the date show. It should have been ok I think.

Lookslikerain Mon 25-Mar-13 14:43:03

Right. Softened a bit, gave it a sniff, and it smelled a bit... cheesy. And I'm pretty sure butter doesn't normally smell like that. I didn't even taste it. Straight in the bin. Today's lesson: 3 months is too far past 'best' for butter. No cookies here today. sad

Lookslikerain Mon 25-Mar-13 13:55:35

I'm usually pretty relaxed about dates on food but 3 months is getting close to my limit! It is a best before rather than use by, so I'll give it a bit longer on the side, taste, then make my cookies if ok. Thanks for your replies! smile

Startail Mon 25-Mar-13 13:48:45

The whole point of butter is as a way of preserving milk, it definitely fits in the let a bit come to room temp, sniff and taste camp.

BloooCowWonders Mon 25-Mar-13 13:40:33

Get it to room temperature then taste it. You'll know if its off.

But I'd use it without a second thought! smile

frogwatcher1 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:40:06

Just checked my butter and it is best before. My understanding is that food is safe ages and ages past the best before date - it just deteriorates but doesn't get dangerous.

If it goes 'off' it has a use by on. Don't use anything past a use by unless you are confident on checking it yourself (I use fish and meat past use-by as am happy to go by smell, feel etc).

I'd use it provided it smelt/tasted ok.

Butter used to be kept in cold water/whey for whole winters.
Rancid butter is really obvious as it smells vile.

frogwatcher1 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:37:15

If its a best before I would use it. If its a use by I wouldn't.

Ragwort Mon 25-Mar-13 13:36:37

I'd use it but I have a cast iron stomach and am very mean grin.

spottyparrot Mon 25-Mar-13 13:36:20

Chuck, not really worth the risk is it?

Xroads Mon 25-Mar-13 13:35:46

I would chuck I think

Lookslikerain Mon 25-Mar-13 13:35:20

Found a block of unopened, unsalted butter at the back of the fridge. It's dated 26th December 2012 blush.

Can I use it? Is it safe? It looks and smells ok. I want to make cookies so it'll be cooked.

What do you think? Thanks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now