Black Country Mushy Peas

(8 Posts)
fallenempires Mon 25-Mar-13 22:47:39

DaveyStott I will tell DP that he needs to be corrected.wink
This is a chippy that his GD used to take him to as a treat as a child and apparently was a family recipe and this has been handed down to the new owners.
If you do find a gray pays an barecon recipe then please let me knowsmile

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 25-Mar-13 14:01:38

What's the difference between mushy peas and Black Country mushy peas?

DaveyStott Mon 25-Mar-13 12:18:13

If you got them from the chippy, they probably weren't the grey peas that I mentioned (this is what they are called - they're a dried pea that goes kind of brown when cooked). I think you probably just found a chip shop with nice mushy peas!

fallenempires Mon 25-Mar-13 12:16:59

Thanks for that tigerlilygrr.I had looked at tins but he wanted to try something authentic.

tigerlilygrr Mon 25-Mar-13 10:05:29

I have to say I read this and was surprised that you wouldn't just buy a tin of mushy peas! But I did see a recipe recently on the nigella website (though not one of hers)... Here you go:
mushy goodness

fallenempires Sun 24-Mar-13 23:04:59

Thanks DaveyStott
I'm not a Midlander, Dp is, but I've moved here.
I did however try the most delicious fish n chips with mushy peas in a chippy in Darleston.
What are the certain types of peas that you mention?

DaveyStott Sat 23-Mar-13 18:43:07

I'm Black Country but I'm not sure what you mean by Black Country mushy peas - do you mean grey peas & bacon (or as pronounced, gray pays an barecon)? You need a certain type of peas - I've seen them for sale in local butchers/ farm shops.

fallenempires Sat 23-Mar-13 16:44:16

Anyone got a good recipe?
TIAsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now