URGENT how can I thicken up my soup??

(17 Posts)
BumpingFuglies Fri 22-Mar-13 20:39:09

Glad to hear I didn't ruin your soup smile

Theas18 Fri 22-Mar-13 13:33:50

Glad cornflour worked . I've also used a shake or 3 or smash type instant potato in the past!

whoopwhoopbib Fri 22-Mar-13 13:12:20

I think thats where I went wrong - I must've added lentils last time and forgot today as it's not part of the recipe.

The cornflour worked well though and it tasted fine although dd is yet to try hers.

Thanks again for saving the soup!!

Curtsey Fri 22-Mar-13 13:04:09

Was just coming on to say red lentils smile They cook really fast and are great thickeners.

ThePskettiIncident Fri 22-Mar-13 13:01:14

Lentils for a quick fix, but dumplings are lovely in soup too and seem to soak up lots of excess liquid!

I keep smash in the cupboard to thicken soup up if needed blush

whoopwhoopbib Fri 22-Mar-13 12:57:39

I am serving a little person but she is patient grin

whoopwhoopbib Fri 22-Mar-13 12:56:38

oh no just put cornflour in as the only thing I have!! Nevermind all my food tends to come out slightly unusual.

Thank you all for your quick responses though smile

NotAsNiceAsMyMum Fri 22-Mar-13 12:56:01

potato.

Also, bung the pan back on the heat (presuming you're not serving little people) and keep it bubbling to reduce whilst you do the other measures in this thread.

TheRealFellatio Fri 22-Mar-13 12:54:21

And yes, lentils would be good too.

TheRealFellatio Fri 22-Mar-13 12:53:44

buy a bag of Aunt Bessie's frozen mash and keep dropping in a few of the frozen patties until you reach the desired consistency. Cornflour or a flour based roux will not be right for soup - it will be more like a sauce.

Yes, red lentils will do it.

ouryve Fri 22-Mar-13 12:51:08

Cornflour. Slake a spoonful with some water, stir it in and heat is through. It should both thicken and stabilise it.

Cook and add some lentils? Or potato, as Bumping suggests.

BumpingFuglies Fri 22-Mar-13 12:50:10

Cornflour? Add some cooked potato if you have time?

whoopwhoopbib Fri 22-Mar-13 12:48:58

I have just lovingly made some veg soup but it is really liquidy. I made it before and it was nice and thick, I've already pureed half and put back in as before but it's far too wet to serve. Help please!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now