NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Dh has announced he wants to buy a breadmaker

(98 Posts)
Mrsrobertduvall Thu 21-Mar-13 07:21:07

Now I'm all for encouraging him in the kitchen.

I know nothing about them...but know lots of you have them.
Which one do you recommend.....worth the effort?
I rarely eat bread but everyone else does.

SoupDreggon Sun 24-Mar-13 17:25:56

Panasonic!

I have a cinnamon & sultana loaf in it as we speak. It will be ready when the children are in bed and gone shortly after even though that quantity of wheat will make me look pregnant

lolalotta Sun 24-Mar-13 17:26:44

I make my loaves to come out at bedtime, then cover with a tea towel. By morning they are easy peasy to cut with an electric bread knife. And you get more slices per loaf as you don't have to cut doorsteps...wink

lolalotta Sun 24-Mar-13 17:29:33

I would love the Nahn recipe too, just had a flick through and can't see it in my Panasonic recipe book...

PipkinsPal Sun 24-Mar-13 17:30:46

I've recently bought this one and really pleased with it. Russell Hobbs - Argos £54.99 cat no 423/1174. Fastbake 55mins, 3 diff sizes, 500g 750g 1kg, variable browning. Rectangular tin. Recipes use olive oil which makes the loaves lighter including the fastbake one. In fact I'm off to make a loaf now.

PipkinsPal Sun 24-Mar-13 17:33:39

Oh and I use bread flour from Lidl. Less than 80p for 1.5Kg.

lucky you!

panasonic here. i use mine all the time. real lifesaver.

mikey9 Mon 25-Mar-13 21:13:27

lolalotta - nan recipe is halfway up this thread under my username

For fat - I use olive oil, sunflour oil, marge, olive oil spread depending on what we have available - but usually butter - they all work well......

Inspired by those of you who do dough in the maker and use the oven for baking - I did a double mix and made 6 rolls and a round loaf that way yesterday - lovely rolls for lunch today - and the big round loaf is lovely and soft and quite different in texture to the maker made loaves.

Just need to do that everyday now....

Pollaidh Tue 26-Mar-13 17:42:44

Panasonic.

We use ours a few times a week usually. I don't bother but my husband like to do it (he does also make bread by hand quite often with my toddler). Get one with a seed dispenser so you can experiment. Ours also does delicious brioche and you can add lemon zest. Pizza dough also good. We've had the machine about 4-5 years and it's still going strong.

Nooooo....you've got to do it by hand!

The oven gives a better crust and you knead need to get a feel for the dough. Plus it only takes a few minutes of hands on time and a couple of decent bread tins are WAY cheaper than a machine and it's just so EASY. Really, there is nothing to it.

SoupDreggon Tue 26-Mar-13 22:03:45

[shrug] It takes less than a minute of hands on time to use a bread maker. By the time you work it out on a cost-per-use basis, the bread maker isn't at all expensive. In my case, it works out cheaper than tins as I know I couldn't be arsed to make bread by hand and would have given up after a couple of goes. My bread maker, however, has been used loads in the 4 years I've had it.

Each to their own. My dad actually gave me the machine as he preferred making it by hand. I prefer making it by machine.

Wyfee Wed 27-Mar-13 07:28:23

Don't buy a bread maker. Spend the money on a good book and learn the principles from there. All you need is your oven, a bowl and a baking tray. If you must get a gadget, try an ice cream maker.

SoupDreggon Wed 27-Mar-13 07:35:18

No - ice cream makers are rubbish IME. Unless you get one of the ones that does all the freezing for you too and I'm not sure who eats the enough icecream to make that viable!

JulesJules Wed 27-Mar-13 10:30:14

Yep, the keep the bowl in the freezer type of ice cream makers are not very good and use up a lot of space in the freezer. If I had the £££££ and the space, I would have a Cusinart with built in freezer.

I can and do make my own bread by hand, but I don't have the time or the inclination to make the daily bread for the family. For me it's not a choice between handmade/breadmaker but between breadmaker/shopbought bread.

No contest.

bigbadbarry Wed 27-Mar-13 18:44:08

I love my icecream maker, just a freeze the bowl attachment for my kenwood chef. Which, incidentally kneads bread extremely well with its dough hook, then to be baked in the oven. Maybe a kenwood chef is the real way forward.

SoupDreggon Wed 27-Mar-13 18:55:02

Can you put all the ingredients in a Kenwood Chef, leave it for 4 hours and then come back to a loaf of bread?

bigbadbarry Wed 27-Mar-13 19:01:52

No. But you can put all the ingredients in, leave it for an hour, mix for a minute, leave it for an hour, slam it in the oven and have bread 20 minutes later. Plus ice cream. Cakes. Pasta...

ouryve Wed 27-Mar-13 19:02:42

bigbadbarry, I have panasonic breadmaker which I use for loaves of bread, with minimum fuss and no need to turn the oven on and I also have a kitchenaid. I actually prefer the kitchenaid for dough, since it's easier to clean (I'm in the don't wash the tin unless something sticks, but if you wash the tin, then something is bound to stick camp).

If I was to say which implement gets used the most, it's my breadmaker.

I just discovered the other week that Morrisons sell fresh yeast in the chilled section - no need to go beg for it. I've been making my best bread ever with it!

snoworneahva Wed 27-Mar-13 20:26:01

I'm greedy! I love my Panasonic Bread maker - I use it to mix dough and do the first rise, always oven bake - no contest. When we had our house renovated and I was forced to choose one gadget for temporary tiny kitchen I chose my Kitchen Aid, it made better bread but required a bit more attention - not much if you are around all day, but often I'm not. Love my Phillips ice cream machine, home made ice cream is just so lovely, real chocolate ice cream, instead of the vague coloured stuff....would love a machine with an inbuilt freezer but it might be a bit too convenient.

SoupDreggon Wed 27-Mar-13 20:48:27

Bigbadbarry, that would just be a "no"

Some people seem to overlook the fact that others like a bread maker because it does everything and they can't be arsed with faffing about with all the proving, knocking back and baking that go into traditional bread making. I it my choice of ingredients in, switch it on and that's the only involvement bar taking it out of the pan. If I did not have a bread maker, I wouldnt make bread. My dad prefers to make all his bread by hand

No method is right or wrong, just down personal choice.

Here here, SoupDreggon. Or should that be "hear, hear". <ponders...>

snoworneahva Wed 27-Mar-13 21:08:03

Agree Soupdreggon we used our Panasonic to make bread, dough and bake for 4 years before we started to experiment with oven baked loaves. You can take anything to extremes - I grew my own yeast starter for a few months to make sour dough bread but it wasn't sustainable, I got bored.

Home baked bread is such a huge improvement on shop bought, no matter what way you make it.

mikey9 Fri 29-Mar-13 21:37:26

Well - this appears to be a great endorsement for Panasonic - and it is great to hear so many positive comments - reinforcing our own experiences.

It has even got me using it for dough (at the wknds) - and popping loaves and rolls in the oven when it is on for something else.

Today (based on comments on here) tried a brioche recipe from the book that came with it - ended up as a double load cheese brioche (which went down well with all - however I would suggest making two loaves as it is difficult to get the centre perfectly cooked without burning the outer with such a monstrous brioche - tastes devine tho.....!!

If you have never tried it (I hadn't before today) do one over the Easter weekend ;-)

JulesJules Sat 30-Mar-13 15:57:02

Yy, the people at Panasonic should be v happy with this thread if they see it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now