NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Slow Cooker

(4 Posts)
justpoppy Tue 19-Mar-13 14:45:34

I've recently bought a slow cooker and I love it. If I'm making a stew I'll cut all the veg up the night before and put it all in the pot, then in the morning add the meat/stock switch on and when I come home from work its done. I'm out of the house for at least 10 hours so I leave it on low. I've also done bolognaise, lamb keema, a whole chicken, stock and various soups. Use less liquid than you would when cooking on the hob as the sauce doesn't reduce. I add some gravy powder or cornflour if I want a thicker gravy. Good luck.

Roopoo Tue 19-Mar-13 14:22:56

Thanks.
Im wanting to make stews really I think.
Do I just bung all ingredients in and leave to cook?
Is it necessary to brown mince and chicken before using them?

fallenempires Tue 19-Mar-13 12:20:41

There are quite a few threads about slowcookers on MN with some excellent recipes and advice thrown in.I have two of them and they are a god send.You really don't need to be good at cooking to knock something half decent up!
Also they are ideal for cheaper cuts of meat which benefit from longer cooking.
I make stews alot of the time and just cover the meat and root veg with stock or guinness/beer.It takes about 6 hours on the low setting and I often add dumplings for the last hour.

Roopoo Tue 19-Mar-13 12:04:41

I want to buy a slow cooker.
But im rubbish at cooking.
Money is tight
Any suggestions for recipes and timings?
Any help much appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now