What to do with ground almonds

(34 Posts)
theAntsareMyFriends Mon 18-Mar-13 15:13:11

Hi everyone.

I was clearing out my cupboards at the weekend and have found 4 large bags of ground almonds! Not really sure what to do with them all.

Has anyone got any great ground almond recipes that they don't mind sharing. Sweet or savory so long as they are vegetarian.

Thank you.

PigeonStreet Mon 18-Mar-13 15:14:54

Macaroons or bakewell slices...

bakingaddict Mon 18-Mar-13 15:16:24

Have you thought about making Easter macarons or perhaps a chocolate torte cake....I think there has recently been a Paul Hollywood chocolate torte recipe on here

mum47 Mon 18-Mar-13 15:16:53

They are lovely in a curry. Just chuck them in to taste, they make the sauce lovely and creamy. Or almond and orange cake. Yum.

BTW, how on earth did you end up wth 4 bags in yrou cupboard?!!

Add to crumble topping for pudding

showtunesgirl Mon 18-Mar-13 15:21:54

Flourless chocolate and almond cake. Though I don't like coffee tasting things to omit that and just chuck in more alcohol.

Whydobabiescry Mon 18-Mar-13 15:21:59

Make a Madeira cake and substitute some flour with almonds makes it very most. BBC good food have a cracking recipe.

NuhichNuhaymuh Mon 18-Mar-13 15:25:49

I add them to a korma.

I put in ground almonds into goodfoods here, there's a lot of recipes, though not sure if some are just ground somthing or just almonds! Either way you find ideas on the site

www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=ground+almonds&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=&filterItem=

theAntsareMyFriends Mon 18-Mar-13 15:27:50

So quick. Thank you all for your suggestions.

I've made macaroons twice before and not be very sucessful. Is there a foolproof recipe I could use?

I like the idea of bakewell slices and the orange cake. Just googled Paul Holywood recipe and it looks good too. I think I might make a curry this week so will give the almonds a go.

TBH, I don't really know how I ended up buying so many. I think I might have bought them for specfic recipes at Christmas (macaroons and cherry and almond curd), bought extra in case I ran out and then ended up using lots less that I expected. They are the kind of things that get pushed to the back of the cupboard and then forgotten about so only come to light when I'm having a clear out.

I know I'm going to end up getting inspired by the recipe suggestions and having to buy more. Thereby creating a vicious cycle grin

cleanandclothed Mon 18-Mar-13 15:40:35

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/blackberry-and-cinnamon-cake-980

This is delicious. You can replace the blackberries with any other fruit and the cinnamon is not essential.

snoworneahva Mon 18-Mar-13 15:49:22

Friands are lovely little almond cakes,you don't need a special oval tin, I just use a standard bun tin, best made with blueberries or raspberries but rhubarb work too. Very easy and the kids love them.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/15059/blueberry+friands

Almond biscuits from the BeRo cookery book. They are wonderful.

snoworneahva Mon 18-Mar-13 15:50:06

Sorry link again

Blueberry friand

BikeRunSki Mon 18-Mar-13 15:52:51

there is a fabulous recipe for pear and almond tart on the bbc website.

ALmond Biscuits

175g SR FLour
pinch salt
75g caster sugar
50g ground almonds
150g butter
few drops almond essence

Heat oven to 180c/350f/GM5
mix dry ingredients together
Rub in the butter
Add essence and mix well. Bring together with your hands (TBH, I just bung it all in the food processor!)
Roll out thinly (5mm) and cut onto rounds.
Place on a greased baking tray and bake for 15 mins.

TiredyCustards Mon 18-Mar-13 15:58:33

You can use them in place of pine nuts for veggie pesto - garlic, cheddar, basil, olive oil + ground almonds.

I also use them in flapjacks.

aoife24 Tue 26-Mar-13 20:02:59

plum, almond and polenta cake, lovely.

Ambridge Tue 26-Mar-13 20:05:49

You can keep them in the freezer, you know. That way they won't go off. Helps to know you don't have to use them all at once!

Chewbecca Tue 26-Mar-13 21:28:22

I love HFW's pear and almond cake. It's in his family cookbook but called 'pudding cake' there and it makes a fabulous hot dessert, after a roast dinner kind of pudding.

coffeeinbed Tue 26-Mar-13 21:31:03

Financier cakes - it's the same as friends.i used a Gordon Ramsey recipe.
Must leave the batter to rest overnight though.
Google Cooks larder Apple Almond cake - best cake ever.
Nigella's Damp Lemon Almond cake from Domestic Goddess.
All great.

Liskey Tue 26-Mar-13 21:37:42

Made cherry clafoutis before with ground almonds that was a gorgeous pudding similar to this

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3101/fruit-and-almond-clafoutis

Wyfee Wed 27-Mar-13 07:30:35

Bake well tarts. Korma. Prune and Armagnac tart from John button race 'French leave'

JamNan Wed 27-Mar-13 09:38:06

Ground almonds make a gorgeous Spanish tomato sauce Romesco sauce recipe here or here

Pear frangipane tart. Very delicious and easy - you cook the pears in butter and sugar, which makes a kind of toffee sauce to go with the tart. Google it - it's a Hugh F-W recipe. I think it was in the Guardian or something.

AlohaMama Thu 28-Mar-13 01:16:24

Also good sprinkled on stuffed peppers - kind of sprinkle over the stuffing and it makes a nice golden crust.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now