What would you cook with this?

(7 Posts)
TheBookofRuth Mon 18-Mar-13 20:21:04

I didn't have the other ingredients for chowder, so I did a Thai-spiced stir fry with the seafood and asparagus - it was lovely.

Today I found the simplest pea and ham soup recipe in existence - literally, just chucked the ham bone and a bag of split peas into a casserole with a sautéed onion and a couple of bay leaves, covered it all with water, and simmered it for a couple of hours till the peas had dissolved and the ham had fallen off the bone - and made it for dinner. It was delicious.

blurryeyegirl Sun 17-Mar-13 21:24:45

Thanks smile and your recipe sounds delicious smile

JamNan Sun 17-Mar-13 15:12:48

Rocking Horse, (pronounced rockin' 'orse) is Cockney rhyming slang for sauce. In our house it means HP brown sauce.

blurryeyegirl Sun 17-Mar-13 14:26:58

Sorry i have bo fabulous udeas, but am very curious: What's a rocking horse on top?!

hatgirl Sun 17-Mar-13 14:03:21

pea and ham soup with the ham bone?

JamNan Sun 17-Mar-13 13:57:50

Fish chowder with steamed asparagus on the side.
Fish pie? My DSonIL cooks it with hard boiled egg in and it's delish!

Boil the ham bone (with an onion studded with a few cloves) until all the meat starts to fall off. Save the stock then make a hearty soup with split peas or lentils, potatoes/ celery and dumplings with lashings of Lea & Perrins and Rocking Horse on top.

Boil up ham bone, take off all the meat make a ham roly-poly with suet pastry - you can oven cook or steam it. Do you have a slow cooker?

Please can I come to yours for din-dins? Pretty pleeeeze. grin

TheBookofRuth Sun 17-Mar-13 11:06:22

I have two salmon fillets, two packs of scallops, a couple of handfuls of shell-on cooked prawns and a bundle of asparagus to use tonight. What should I cook?

Also, yesterday my butcher an enormous ham bone with quite a lot of meat on it for £2. It seemed too much of a bargain not to take, but what the hell do I do with it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now