So come tell me, what can I do with this chicken that I've never done with a chicken before

(44 Posts)
HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Tue 12-Mar-13 20:57:16

There is a chicken in the fridge. It needs to be consumed tomorrow. I keep opening the fridge and looking at it. It looks eyelessly back at me. I go "meh" and reject it.

I'm not feeling the chicken love. I don't mind jointing the fucker, or boning it. I just want the bastard to stop underwhelming me with its chickeness.

Come inspire with stuff you do with dull chickens. Googles not helping.

snoworneahva Sun 17-Mar-13 17:35:07

Chicken is a bit dull - we make a curry and drown ours in spices or make a spectacular veg dish as the main attraction....chicken often takes a back seat.

BertieBotts Sun 17-Mar-13 17:11:13

I've just chucked some chicken breasts in the slow cooker along with chickpeas, lentils, garlic, onion, potato, tinned tomatoes and a load of curry paste. Smells nice. Vaguely hopeful that it will be edible.

chicaguapa Sun 17-Mar-13 17:07:23

Chicken casserole with onions, mushrooms and Heinz tomato soup. Link to the Heinz website Cacciatore here

Mondrian Thu 14-Mar-13 22:40:59

Ok best chicken curry ever was made 2nite by moi, pretty chuffed with it. Made everything from scratch including ghee, chicken stock & curry powder.

OliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 14-Mar-13 11:55:08

Hi we have moved this to our food topic so it doesn't get deleted
Happy Chickening

Beer can chicken is amazing on the barbeque (if you have a big enough barbeque to be able to put the lid down on the upright chicken.) The beer steams it from the inside so it cooks through evenly, stays moist, and tastes delicious.

Suggestions... princess chicken from the MN recipes?

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Thu 14-Mar-13 05:10:34

hmmmm...curry clumps wink

ripsishere Thu 14-Mar-13 03:41:08

Me too. I am trying to decide whether to have some curry noodles or not. DD told me last night that they are covered in inedible wax which gives you cancer. I tried explaining that everything gives you cancer. She is insisent that they are not digested but stay in a clump forever.

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Thu 14-Mar-13 01:52:43

butterfish or butterdish?

So what did you go for op?

I'm starving

ScrambledSmegs Thu 14-Mar-13 00:14:09

Spatchcock it, then rub with lemon/herbs/chopped chilli/oil/whatevs but keep the oil option and cook to tasty perfection.

Added bonus is that if kids are young teenagers, they find the word 'spatchcock' hysterically funny hmm

ripsishere Thu 14-Mar-13 00:06:17

maybe batterish is better? although autocorrect insists it's butterfish

kittyandthegoldenfontanelles Wed 13-Mar-13 23:39:31

rips I'm not comfortable with you saying chicken and battery in the same sentence grin

Mondrian Wed 13-Mar-13 03:54:37

1-Slow roast in slow cooker (if you have one) with your fav spices, supposed to be really tender like this.
2-Roast chicken with pomegranate juice & crushed walnut gravy (pour on after roasting)
3- Spatchcock chicken with nando's sauce

ripsishere Wed 13-Mar-13 03:02:51

Sous vide? bloody hell it's like great british menu.
How long do you cook the beer can thing for? my oven goes off after an hour so I need to be at home to rewind the setter.
Tongith we'll be having a sort of chicken casserole thing with breast chunks, smokey bacon, onion, chicken soup and onions, topped with a kind of savory battery dumpling. Hard to describe buy simple and, most importantly, the oven doesn't need re winding.

LuisGarcia Wed 13-Mar-13 02:54:49

sous vide the breasts, steam then roast the wings, confit the legs and soup the leftovers

holidaysarenice Wed 13-Mar-13 02:42:25

I really want to try some of these!! Which ones have you tried with just chicken breasts (lazy cook here!!)

cardibach Tue 12-Mar-13 21:56:19

I do peasant chicken. WOrks best if you have a well seasoned terracotta lidded dish, but any lidded dish will do. Cover the base of the dish with unpeeled garlic cloves (yes, really, cover it. Use loads). Put the chicken on top, rub a little salt and olive oil into the skin. ROast with lid on.
Serve hacked up by meal participants, with whatever veg you fancy and some french bread to dip in the juices and squeeze the roasted garlic onto.
It's bloody lovely.

BearFrills Tue 12-Mar-13 21:53:08

I was sceptical too. When DH first told me about it I thought he was setting me up for some sort of joke but no, it actually works.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Tue 12-Mar-13 21:42:38

So those can up bum recipes do really work?

BearFrills Tue 12-Mar-13 21:15:31

Shove a beer can up it's bottom? For food purposes, not general entertainment ....

Can of your choice of beer, or lemonade if you prefer. Tip around half out and drink it then drop a clove of garlic, a few sprigs of rosemary, a couple of cloves (leave them out if you don't like them), and some thyme into the can.

Make up rub for the chicken itself. There are loads of recipes online so it's just a case of finding one that suits your tastes. DH does one with brown sugar, fennel seeds, cumin, and paprika. Just mix together and rub all over the chicken.

Next you sort of sit the chicken on the can and push it down a bit so it won't fall off. Stand it in a baking tray and roast in the oven (take the shelves out).

It looks funny, sitting upright while it cooks (DS finds it hilarious that it's 'looking' at him) but it tastes great. Just remove the can once it's cooked and carve as normal - the liquid steams and flavours it from the inside out.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Tue 12-Mar-13 21:13:53

I am oing to save this thread forever.

I hate getting into food ruts.

HeadFairy Tue 12-Mar-13 21:11:36

Jointed and roasted with chunks of red onions, red peppers, whole bulbs of garlic and chunks of chorizo. Serve with couscous.

OldBeanbagz Tue 12-Mar-13 21:11:04

Masala roast chicken recipe here. I use a slightly different recipe from the Cooking Like Mummyji book.

Delicious served with saffron roast potatoes and spicy red cabbage.

HotPinkWeaselWearingLederhosen Tue 12-Mar-13 21:10:11

Grumpy kit. Next time I have breasts I'm doing the cheesy lime thingy.

Anifrangapani Tue 12-Mar-13 21:09:21

Bangalore curry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now