Chorizo!

(20 Posts)

My lovely sister in law brought us back a huge chorizo picante from Barcelona this weekend and I need some inspiration.
I'm not mad about chorizo usually, but reckon I just need to find the right recipe now that I've got the good stuff.
I've done the Nigella chicken dish a few times, but find it a bit too greasy.

So, what are your best chorizo recipes please?

mamababa Wed 06-Mar-13 16:07:50

The hairy dieters Spanish chicken bake is good.

Lisa Faulkner's chicken in cider and chorizo she did on mastercehf is lively too.

And the hairy bikers seafood paella. Can't post links but if you google you'll find them grin

My favourite is Cod with chorizo and sundried tomato pesto.

Layer sliced waxy spuds on bottom of dish. Olive oil. Start off in oven for 15 mins.

Fry sliced chorizo with red onion and red/yellow peppers. Layer over spuds.

Plonk cod fillets on top. Liberally drizzle sundried tomato pesto let down with olive oil. Cook in oven till cod is done. Scatter torn basil at end.

Delicious. Drooling now!

msrisotto Wed 06-Mar-13 16:13:20

My favourite chorizo recipes are
Chorizo & Chipolata Jambolaya
and
Chorizo & Chickpea Soup

Both lovely and quick!

msrisotto Wed 06-Mar-13 16:13:57

Bunny that sounds lovely too! And quick!

My two fave chorizo recipes.

Spicy Lentil and Chorizo stew.

Rigatoni with spicy chorizo and rosemary sauce.

They are quite simple and very cheap to make but we eat them a lot!

There's a great Jamie Oliver recipe for chorizo & sweet-potato soup. It's delicious. Think its in the Ministry of Food book.

Thank you all, I'll have to experiment a bit.

Think first up will be the cod dish, followed by the rigatoni (I have massive amounts of rosemary in the garden)

ELR Wed 06-Mar-13 16:28:24

Make a chicken and sweet run chowder, just fry some onion chorizo and chicken add a pint of stock 1/2 a pint of milk and a can of sweet corn and some cubed potato then simmer. Season, add a handful of chopped parsley and enjoy!

Don't forget to take the tough outer skin off the chorizo

ELR Wed 06-Mar-13 16:28:41

Sweet corn chowder!

thereistheball Thu 07-Mar-13 04:39:13

Gently heat chorizo in a pan til it gives up its oil. Take it out and fry lots of onion in the oil. Add a tin of tomatoes, some garlic, a tin of (drained, rinsed) butter beans, some smoked paprika and the chorizo. Cook until the tomatoes have reduced a bit. Serve with chopped parsley and crusty bread.

Allice Thu 07-Mar-13 05:22:54

Red pepper and chorizo risotto is my favourite meal at the moment, very quick, easy and tasty.

dizzy77 Thu 07-Mar-13 05:30:57

Chorizo is my magic ingredient! I often use it when I might otherwise start something by frying a little bacon eg risotto, soup etc.

I make something that started as Nigel Slater's adaptable bean soup

Also a Country Paella where I start browning some chicken rather than finishing with seafood.

dizzy77 Thu 07-Mar-13 05:34:29

Or when I need to clear out the fridge (sorry any spaniards reading) I start a "Spanish" omelette with chorizo and onion before frying off a chopped baked potato or two then adding any (cooked) leftover veg I have hanging around before emptying a pack of eggs, beaten, allowing to set then topping w grated cheese & finishing under the grill.

MrsJamin Thu 07-Mar-13 05:48:42

Easiest dish ever is stick in a casserole dish: chopped chorizo, red and green peppers, carrots, chopped tomatoes, mushrooms and waitrose mixed spicy beans in a tin, bake for 90 mins and serve with rice, tangy and tasty. Works well on an oven timer too. Add extra chill or hot sauce if you like it really spicy.

add to tomatoes and onions as a base for huevos rancheros. yummy!

Dolallytats Thu 07-Mar-13 06:14:52

I'm with mamababa on this one, I would make the Hairy Dieter Spanish style chicken-it's lovely!!

Mondrian Thu 07-Mar-13 07:00:03

I use Chorizo to spice up pasta + oven roasted veg, just add the Chorizo 20min before the veg is ready. I sometimes use chilli infused olive oil to make it even more spicy.

Umlauf Thu 07-Mar-13 07:06:20

I love Delia's Basque Chicken. Sooo easy!

Jamie Oliver does an amazing chorizo and tomatoe salad, it's in the Spanish section of his book where he goes to various European countries. Can't link as on phone, but it is absolutely amazing with crusty bread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now