NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

Fish pie topping: no mash!

(20 Posts)

You can do sliced potatoes, nice thick slices and yes to steaming them first.

I did one the other day with sliced (pre steamed too) turnips as we are now low carbing and it was really good.

dairymoo Sun 03-Mar-13 14:07:14

Delia does a fish oie with a rosti topping that has capers in it - yum!

sashh Sun 03-Mar-13 06:00:08

Get a packet of two of crisps. Break them up in the packet so they look like breadcrumbs, mix with cheese if you like and use it as a crispy (no pun intended) topping.

mathanxiety Sat 02-Mar-13 21:22:34

My mum always did a gratin -- twas lovely and took far less time.

I have done mashed and buttered parsnip with green scallions, and have also used leftover colcannon with extra butter mashed in.

pegster Sat 02-Mar-13 21:17:28

Made one with a potato rosti top recently - par boil the potato then grate it and mix with some butter before piling it on top

derektheladyhamster Sat 02-Mar-13 21:16:34

do a fish gratin instead, with breadcrumbs and cheddar.

jennimoo Sat 02-Mar-13 21:13:52

Any other recipes for a 'crumble' top?

I love a fish crumble.

mrspink27 Sat 02-Mar-13 20:13:02

Breadcrumbs, pine nuts and parmesan?

ouryve Sat 02-Mar-13 18:53:14

For fish pie, which doesn't want to be overcooked, I sometimes cut potato into 1/2" cubes and boil them, then toss them in a little butter or oil before using them to top the pie.

jennimoo Sat 02-Mar-13 18:50:10

Some nice ideas, thank you!

Fallenangle Sat 02-Mar-13 15:53:34

Crumble, perhaps with some parmesan depending on the fish

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 02-Mar-13 15:49:47

I have topped with sliced potatoes before, they do need to par boil first, pastry either puff or filo would be nice.

Xiaoxiong Sat 02-Mar-13 15:48:17

Puff pastry. Or if the problem is the potatoes/carbs, mashed cauliflower.

nextphase Sat 02-Mar-13 06:45:18

Sliced bread, covered in butter right to the edge, cut into triangles and layed over the top overlapping slightly.

Yes, I'd par boil the sliced potato.

Rosa Sat 02-Mar-13 06:41:28

Hand crush crisps and mix with grated cheese.

Tubegirl Sat 02-Mar-13 06:24:02

Filo pastry makes a nice change.

jennimoo Sat 02-Mar-13 06:23:12

Yep, just mash. Wondered if sliced potatoes would need parboiling.

DeepRedBetty Sat 02-Mar-13 05:51:21

So it's just mash he won't eat?

You could parboil spuds, slice them, and make the lid out of that, with a bit of milk/butter/grated cheese and maybe a handful of breadcrumbs?

Or use pastry instead?

jennimoo Sat 02-Mar-13 05:38:03

Was planning out meals for next weeks visit from PIL and bought a selection of fish for a fish pie. I then realised DFIL won't touch mashed potato.

What other toppings have you done? Something about grated potato is ringing a bell...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now