perfect oven chips

(13 Posts)
mamacoffee Tue 26-Feb-13 22:22:54

hi

i'm trying to find the best way to make hte perfect chip but in a fairly easy way (yes i did see heston blumenthal's suggested way to make home made chips on channel 4 a year r s ago, and they looked yummy but with two young babas i dn't have the sort of time on my hands that that requires!!). i used to twice fry and they were yummy but i cant stand in front f the fryter for that long. so i switched to home made oven chips, did a bit of research and found that par boiling/blanching is a good idea, but i end up with oily dchips, far more oily than if id just fried them!!

please help!!

Thingymajigs Wed 27-Feb-13 06:36:48

I've only tried this way so can't compare but they always go down well.
Place slices into a saucepan of cold, salted water. Take them out to drain as soon as it is fully boiling. Cover with olive oil and fine, black pepper & sea salt. (Use whatever other spices you like or leave as it is. My kids like to help at this stage and usually put in smoked paprika and/or cumin). Put in a preheated oven at 220 for 20 mins and take out when starting to brown. Very simple.

Thingymajigs Wed 27-Feb-13 06:40:41

Sorry, that should be 200 degrees.

mamacoffee Wed 27-Feb-13 17:03:58

Thanks! Thats pretty much what i do, maybe im putting in too much oil to start with? How muchdo you add? I add a fair bit bc in my head this method is similar to how I'd do roast potatoes and I know the best way for that is lot s of oil. And in the past when iv added a minimal amount of oil they sticj to the oven tray,! But then I didnt blanch tge potatoes back then maybe that makes a difference in terms of 'stickiness'?

Thingymajigs Wed 27-Feb-13 18:39:58

I can't say how much oil I use since I just pour it in. It's enough to coat them but not too much that there's excess left in the bowl.
Pat them dry before coating to see if that helps and spread them out on the tray. Also try shaking them half way through.
This is giving me a massive craving for chips, not great for my diet.

oddslippers Wed 27-Feb-13 18:45:03

Try heating your oil in the oven before adding the chips if you put cold oil on hot spuds they will absorb the grease

Noren Wed 27-Feb-13 18:53:10

I don't blanch if I'm doing them in the oven because it seems to make them fall apart. The nice thing about oven method is you can use olive oil which is very good for you and tastes nice as well.

ScienceRocks Wed 27-Feb-13 19:28:14

I do homemade wedges, which is much the same thing.

Turn on oven to 200C and put in roasting tin with a splash of olive oil (normal).

Cut potatoes into even wedges (chip shapes) then when oven has come up to temperature, chuck in roasting tin, grind over some salt and pepper (cayenne if for grown ups), shake well, then bung in oven for about an hour.

After half an hour, give the tray another good shake, then continue baking until cooked and crispy.

Yum.

barleysugar Wed 27-Feb-13 19:34:32

I never par boil them. I always use an enamel tray so they don't stick as much, mix the cold cut chips with cold oil, space evenly on the tray, put in a fiercely hot oven. If they stick to the tray, they are not ready to turn! They hardly absorb any of the oil. King Edwards work best.

PixelAteMyFace Wed 27-Feb-13 19:38:38

I cook mine on one of those mesh things - bought it in Asda a couple of years ago.

It stops the potatoes actually standing in oil, and they don`t stick.

looseleaf Wed 27-Feb-13 20:52:08

I did mine in hot goose fat this evening- par boiled first and dried with kitchen roll first. Really popular here!

LadyMetroland Thu 28-Feb-13 14:07:04

No need to par boil, just wash thoroughly in water otherwise they'll stick. Then coat in olive oil and chosen seasonings, but not too much oil (I swish around in a bowl with my hands) then put on pre-heated non-stick tray.

This should stop them sticking and being too greasy.

I also leave skins on for extra nutrition, haven't had any complaints yet.

PixelAteMyFace Thu 28-Feb-13 14:49:17

I do exactly the same as LadyMetroland

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now