NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

My DCs are right, green peppers aren't actually very nice are they?

(24 Posts)
zukiecat Tue 05-Mar-13 15:38:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MillyMollyMandy78 Fri 01-Mar-13 22:23:03

The green ones are just unripened. If you leave them out on a sunny windowsill for several days they will begin to turn orange/ red in colour, and can be used as you normally would.

I never buy green peppers because they're so bitter. I wish shops would stop trying to foist them on me in multipacks.

thereistheball Tue 26-Feb-13 09:12:35

Oh no - raw only, in a green salad to provide crunch. they are horrible cooked.

Nigella said on her last TV programme something like "Use whatever colour pepper you like but not green. A green pepper is an unripe pepper"

emacp Tue 26-Feb-13 09:00:13

apparently green peppers are unripe red peppers which explains why they don't taste so nice

TippiShagpile Tue 26-Feb-13 08:57:40

I agree with your children.

They give me odd tasting burps for hours (the green peppers, not your children), no matter how I cook them.

sashh Tue 26-Feb-13 08:55:42

Try them in the microwave, totally different.

Fairylea Tue 26-Feb-13 07:14:46

Pre boil for 5 mins, cut in half and stuff with pre mix roasted veg cous cous from a packet, top with cheese and bake in the oven for half an hour on 180.

Serve with rice or roast pots.

Dd age 9 loves that.

MummyPig24 Tue 26-Feb-13 07:05:16

I don't like green peppers raw but I do put them in chilli, they have the right sort of flavour for chilli!

AlisonMoyet Mon 25-Feb-13 09:25:14

i like them in beef

OldBeanbagz Mon 25-Feb-13 09:24:45

I only ever cook them as they're too bitter raw. This is my favourite recipe for cooking them in.

KatieMiddleton Mon 25-Feb-13 02:55:56

I only use them thinly sliced on pizza (great with pepperoni or black olives and goats cheese) or cut into chunks in a really hot, spicy chilli.

That said i don't really like them raw - too bitter - but i will tolerate them finely chopped in tuna mayo but that's the exception.

probably nicer with onion... but as it's mumsnet, you'll find plenty of opinion going spare wink

sauteed with opinion. mmm

RambleOn Mon 25-Feb-13 02:05:55

Thanks Greeny, will give some of those a try.

erowid - piptastic grin

erowid Mon 25-Feb-13 01:53:42

I don't like them cooked at all but I love eating them raw whole, like an apple

Greensleeves Sun 24-Feb-13 23:19:18

I like them in stir fries with garlic and baby sweetcorn alongside usual stir fry veg
With chicken or pork in black bean sauce
On foccacia bread with chicken and a bit of pesto
Curried with potato and cauliflower/spinach/mushrooms (I would stir fry the peppers and chuck in last with fresh coriander and knob of butter
Also nice in a spicy tomato sauce with aubergines and courgettes and some couscous or quinoa

they're bloody horrible when boiled or used like red/yellow ones. Not great in chilli, on pizza, in lasagne.

RambleOn Sun 24-Feb-13 23:14:10

That's it, they ARE bitter.

Greeny, so how do you cook them? Stir fry? On their own or always with sauce?

JudithOfThePeace Sun 24-Feb-13 23:06:54

It is very easy to over cook them or burn them so they go bitter. I never seem to have the same problem with red and yellow ones.

ceeveebee Sun 24-Feb-13 23:06:05

I only use them in curries - they're not very nice raw

Greensleeves Sun 24-Feb-13 23:02:47

They ARE nice, just very different from red/yellow/orange ones so not nice if you are expecting sweetness!

Green ones have a more savoury deep flavour, I love 'em. Great with black bean sauce, or with fish, or chicken, and pesto

they are wonderful in curries too

mamababa Sun 24-Feb-13 23:00:33

Food processor till they are very finely chopped then in a bolognese or sonething (with red too)

RambleOn Sun 24-Feb-13 22:59:12

So in an effort to cut costs, I have been shopping in Aldi. I normally buy red and yellow peppers and use them in all kinds of things, and we all like them cooked and raw.

But Aldi only seems to do three packs with red/yellow/green, and the green ones just aren't nice are they?

How can I use them and disguise their hideous taste grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now