NNote: This topic allows you to post a picture with your message using the Browse button under the Add Message box. You can only post one pic per message - and it will always appear above the text of your message, whichever order you browse/type in. If your pic doesn't load, try making it smaller (50KB max). We're afraid that you can't post up pictures if you're using the MN Talk App. And if you're not running IOS6 on your iPad or iPhone, you won't be able to browse for images on your Apple device.

just short of a kilo of mince to use.....

(13 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 24-Feb-13 14:38:33

i never rinse it, would never even occur to me tbh

i just cook it, drain fat and then make whatever it is i'm making with it smile

JamNan Sun 24-Feb-13 13:08:10

I saw on one of the TV food programmes that it is not recommended to rinse meat as you risk splashing bacteria into your sink and on the surrounding work surfaces. Mince has the highest risk of carrying more bacteria because it has more surface area exposed to the air therefore a larger breeding ground. The chef (can't remember which one) said meat should be fried quickly on a high heat to kill any buglies or put in the oven briefly on a high heat then turn it down and cook as the recipe.

However you can drain mince one it has cooked if you want to get rid of the fat.

Tintingal Sat 23-Feb-13 18:41:43

No need to rinse at all - you're going to COOK it! Try batch cooking. Cook mince with onions, grated carrot (disappears when cooked), garlic and chopped tinned tomatoes. Then divide into containers and freeze. You can then add kidney beans and chilli for chilli, add lasagne sheets and cheese sauce for lasagne, add cinnamon, bechamel sauce and aubergines and make moussaka, add pasta for bolognese. If you're really short of time. Brown the mince, add a jar of Seeds of change organic tomato and basil sauce and simmer. Makes a really easy spaghetti sauce.

TotemPole Sat 23-Feb-13 16:00:54

hatgirl, some people rinse their mince apparently.

hatgirl Sat 23-Feb-13 15:47:31

rinse it!??

lucysmam Sat 23-Feb-13 15:37:43

that takes care of the other two same ish sized packs in the freezer too ty all smile

will be chilli or cowboy dinner monday....i just don't know which now i have suggestions

Burgers
Chili
Meat balls
Lasagne
Moussaka

thixotropic Sat 23-Feb-13 15:21:10

Cowboy dinner.
-cooked with onions add baked beans, eat with jacket spud or tinned potatoes

thixotropic Sat 23-Feb-13 15:19:31

Spag bog.

Chilli on nachos, tacos, in a wrap or with rice.

Meatballs in tom sauce, with chips, rice, mash or pasta.

Burgers inna bun.

Lasagna

LegoAcupuncture Sat 23-Feb-13 15:17:28

Bolognese? Freeze it in batches then oh can take it out when needed, also add to it to make a chilli.

thixotropic Sat 23-Feb-13 15:17:00

Don't forger to rinse it

CoffeeGoneColdAgain Sat 23-Feb-13 15:16:21

Meatballs smile
Can I come for tea? heehee.

lucysmam Sat 23-Feb-13 15:13:46

am going to cook it with onions, mushrooms and carrotts tomorrow and top some with mash to make a shepherds pie ish dinner.....any ideas for the other 2/3 that won't get used tomorrow?

preferably not pie but any suggestions welcome, brain drawing a blank this afternoon smile ty

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now