Breakfast with protein

(18 Posts)
blue2 Thu 21-Feb-13 16:47:56

I have yoghurt, berries, flax seed and a few nuts.

I used to have an egg nearly every day, but am now allergic to them.

sadsad

Salbertina Thu 21-Feb-13 15:17:02

Oh you're making me hungry...and fast day 2day..

This morning I had a pile of: little gem lettuce, hot smokey bacon, avocado, sliced cherry tomatoes, grated cheese. Flipping delicious, and not an egg in sight!

Salbertina Thu 21-Feb-13 04:47:14

Flaxseed toast w macadamia nut butter
Yog w berries, banana and flaxseed
Scrambled eggs w salmon/ham
Porridge cooked with egg, cream, seeds

sashh Thu 21-Feb-13 04:30:15

Kegeree, make a batch, freeze and microwave some each day.

Kippers.

Try pickled eggs.

cheese.

If your not low carbing then eggy bread is a fattening but delicious breakfast, maybe with banana and chocolate spreadwink
Also croque madame.
Bacon and egg butty
Sausage and bacon butty
Full English breakfast
Kippers on toast.

I love breakfastgrin

tigerlilygrr Wed 20-Feb-13 16:27:18

Following up on cottage cheese... Fill a ramekin two thirds full of cottage cheese and then add half a peach / lots of berries on top. Sprinkle with some brown sugar and stick under the grill for five minutes. Delicious!

Fishandjam Wed 20-Feb-13 13:27:45

Do you like cottage cheese? I often have two slices of wholemeal toast with low fat cottage cheese on for breakfast. Usually jazzed up with some chopped pickled jalapenos or a good grinding of black pepper, or even a dribble of sweet chilli sauce. Spreading something like redcurrant jelly thinly on the toast before applying the cott cheese is also nice.

fuzzpig Wed 20-Feb-13 13:23:24

Those egg ideas all sound lovely BTW I will definitely try them!

fuzzpig Wed 20-Feb-13 13:22:40

Thanks all smile

I'm not actually fussed about low carbing, but I've been told that protein is extra important for me (I have CFS/ME) due to muscle building etc. ATM I have a rushed bowl of sugary cereal before work but as I'm hopefully reducing my hours soon I will have more time to cook something nice.

And any excuse to have Parma ham and smoked salmon is good... grin

Allalonenow Wed 20-Feb-13 12:08:03

Ham and cheese sandwich or toasty is packed with protein, or for a treat get the "sandwich" packs of smoked salmon, lovely with scrambled eggs.

I know you said you'd get bored of eggs but they really are the chameleon of the food world. Poached with a grilled mushroom and dollop of creme fraiche, en cocotte, scrambled with chives and butter, omlete, huevos rancheros, poached or fried on a bed of buttery wilted spinach, there are so many variants that it's hard to get bored

SCOTCHandWRY Wed 20-Feb-13 11:03:10

*parma ham in fridge, not cupboard!

SCOTCHandWRY Wed 20-Feb-13 11:01:16

I'm a long term low carber - we tend to cook extra for the evening meal, and use the leftovers for breakfast either hot or cold, maybe with a handful of berries or salad leaves. Breakfast doesn't have to be "breakfast" type food, it can be anything grin

Also, if you keep a couple of packs of parma ham (it lasts ages), and some nuts in the cupboard, a couple of slices with a handful of nuts and berries or some cubes of cheese makes a great instant breakfast when there are no leftovers!

marzipananimal Wed 20-Feb-13 11:00:45

Peanut butter (except I don't like it!)

How about making granola with nuts in. The Rose Elliot vegetarian cookbook has a good recipe.

Or something like Huevos rancheros which are still eggs, but a little more exciting, or look at some Indian breakfast recipes which will have gram flour or lentils as a source of protein.

Peppered mackerel, kippers, low-fat bacon, turkey bacon.

But yeah, eggs are the main low-carb/high protein brekkie. I have them most mornings.

fuzzpig Wed 20-Feb-13 10:43:26

What can I eat for breakfast that is simple to make but has lots of protein? I like eggs but would get bored having them every day.

Thanks in advance! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now