Recommendations for low-calorie / diet cook-books?

(10 Posts)
riverboat Sat 16-Feb-13 19:10:49

DP has developed a belly in the last few years, much to his dislike. He's active, it's just that he can't eat like he used to and stay trim.

Last year he did the Dukan diet and lost loads of weight over the first six months. Only to put it all back on again over the second six months. So no more 'diets' as such. What he/we are going to try is eating low-cal in the evenings during the week, so a lot less pasta/pastry/rice/cream/butter/sugar-type stuff.

I need ideas for recipes that I can make for us in the evenings. We already have the Hairy Dieters cookbook, which is great because it's low-cal spins on the type of recipe that we both particularly enjoy: meaty, saucy, spicy etc. But I've pretty much exhausted that book now, and need some new recipes to add to the rotation.

Have trawled through Amazon but nothing is particularly standing out as being great - does anyone have reccomendations? As well as the fore-mentioned preferences, we have pretty wide tastes.

Milliways Sat 16-Feb-13 20:27:13

Hairy Dieters (£7 in Asda at the moment)

I got this a few weeks ago, not for a diet book, but because all the recipes look fab.

Tonight we had the jambalaya (chicken, chorizo & prawn) and it had celery in it. NONE of us eat celery so I said lets follow the recipe and you can pick it out. They all ate it as it was SO tasty. ALL the recipes I have tried from this book are great, and include usual stuff like chilli & spag bol.

Milliways Sat 16-Feb-13 20:28:17
LondonMother Sun 17-Feb-13 13:04:07

Seconded. Didn't see them on TV, just got the book. What I like about it is that it's sensible, not gimmicky. It shows you how to do ordinary stuff but in a healthier way, and that's what you need to keep the weight off long-term. I'm planning to do lots of the stuff from it. Last night we had the chicken/chorizo/veg traybake and it was very good.

riverboat Sun 17-Feb-13 13:17:59

Thanks, but as I said in the OP I already have that one. I do love it though, and funnily enough we're having the Spanish tray bake tonight!

Milliways Sun 17-Feb-13 14:19:01

Oops - how did I miss that? blush

Ainsley Harriott does quite a good one too.

I really like Fat Girl Slim by Ruth Watson. Its lovely food which happens to be healthy rather than 'diet' food. Lots of good tips too.

Another vote for Fat Girl Slim.

dairymoo Sun 17-Feb-13 20:26:09

I was going to suggest Fat Girl Slim too, and also Nigella's How To Eat has a good low-cal section. Her premise is that asian food is often very low cal as fat is used sparingly, so perhaps a Wagamama cookbook might fit the bill too?

riverboat Mon 18-Feb-13 23:24:50

Gonna check all of those out next time I'm in Water stones. Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now