have you ever frozen homemade muffins

(29 Posts)
lucysmam Fri 15-Feb-13 14:37:37

did they defrost ok if you have?

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 15-Feb-13 14:53:33

They never last long enough to go cool ever mind make it too the freezer smile

lucysmam Fri 15-Feb-13 15:34:24

that's why i wanted to freeze some....might last more than an evening that way hmm

belindarose Fri 15-Feb-13 15:51:09

I always freeze them. They're fine.

jellycat Fri 15-Feb-13 15:53:10

Yes, I've frozen them too, lots of times, and they were fine.

lucysmam Fri 15-Feb-13 17:48:55

brill thank you smile

sharond101 Fri 15-Feb-13 21:48:36

I have muffins in my freezer now they are fine to freeze and defrost quick too.

Snowkey Sat 16-Feb-13 10:10:14

I freeze lots of baked goodies so the dcs have homemade cakes in their lunchbox everyday and nothing goes off.

Yep, I just wrap frozen muffins and pop into lunchboxes in the morning. By lunchtime I am assured they are defrosted and ready to eat.

lucysmam Sat 16-Feb-13 10:37:55

so something along the lines of flapjacks or cookies may be ok too?

RaspberryLemonPavlova Sun 17-Feb-13 21:03:10

Absolutely.

My freezer is re-stocked after half term (while I was off, am TA). We have apple and custard muffins, clementine muffins, cheese muffins, flapjack (sweet and cheesy) and shortbread cookies.

Other favourites have included banana tea bread (I freeze it in slices), sponge cakes, brownies, rock buns, scones ......

Toffee shortbread freezes well too, and stops it all being eaten instantly.

lucysmam Sun 17-Feb-13 21:19:02

ace, ty, will have a baking day later on in the week then (half term here this week) dp can do something with the kids & i'll busy myself in the kitchen......

am sure at least dd1 will object to that though

lucysmam Sun 17-Feb-13 21:19:58

can i have apple and custard muffin recipe please? just re read what you made grin

RaspberryLemonPavlova Sun 17-Feb-13 22:39:48

Apple Custard Muffins

125g butter, melted
2 eating apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1½ tsp ground cinnamon
250g plain flour
50 g custard powder
225g caster sugar
1tbspn baking powder
½ tspn salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
175 ml buttermilk (I used ordinary semi and added 1 tbspn lemon juice)
2 tbspns Demerara sugar

Preheat oven to 220 C/Gas mark 6. Grease or line with paper cups a 12 cup muffin tin.

Cook the apples in about half the melted butter in a heavy-based saucepan. Cook for about 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in cinnamon, remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix wet ingredients and apples in a jug. Add wet to dry and mix briefly until just combined.

Spoon into muffin cups. Sprinkle over Demerara. Bake for 20 minutes or until risen and golden. Cool in tin for 10 minutes, then on wire rack and serve cold or warm.

I cooked these for the first time last week. DCs loved them. Demerara sugar didn’t really add anything in our opinion so will leave that off in future.

Lookslikerain Mon 18-Feb-13 03:00:44

Oooo, raspberrylemonpavlova, please will you come and restock my freezer too? grin Going to try your recipe this week. They sound delicious!

lolalotta Mon 18-Feb-13 06:21:52

Raspberry, was that 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and salt? The recipe looks lovely, thanks for sharing! grin

lucysmam Mon 18-Feb-13 08:47:05

guess what I'll be doing today......grin tyvm....bet they won't last long

doublecakeplease Mon 18-Feb-13 08:54:17

Oh my word - raspberry - they sound amazing! I'm a muffin making virgin - do you have a simple, idiot proof 1st timer recipe?? Although i may brave that one! I have a new electric hand mixer thingy that I'm desperate to use - are muffins ok to use it on or are they meant to be gently hand done?? (sorry - I'm a rubbish cook but looking to improve!!)

pengymum Mon 18-Feb-13 09:05:43

DO NOT use a mixer to make muffins! Mix by hand. A few gentle stirs are all you need for best american muffins. Just mix till wet & dry ingredients combined and no dry flour visible. Batter will look lumpy and not smooth. Don't beat the mixture at all!
Hth smile

doublecakeplease Mon 18-Feb-13 09:08:11

Thanks pengy - i really am rubbish in the kitchen - my Mum hates cooking so never really learnt to but have a 12 month old and want him to enjoy and understand home cooked :-)

pengymum Mon 18-Feb-13 09:09:29

Overmixing results in tough rsther than tender crumb. I use Susan Reimer's excellent book Muffins Fast & Fantastic. She explains beautifully how muffins work and her recipes are lovely. Once you have read the introduction, you can put together your own combinations.grin

lucysmam Mon 18-Feb-13 09:16:35

sounds like dp will be getting a book request.....not had a new one in ages!

pengymum Mon 18-Feb-13 09:17:44

Also what I do is weigh out dry ingredients, label & bag up. Then in mornings just mix up the wet ingredients - egg, oil, milk, add bag of dry and in minutes I have batch of fresh muffins in oven! Very impressive if you have guests! grin
And warm, fresh muffins Mmm much nicer than cold frozen ones! Though I do freeze them if left over but refresh in warm oven. My family don't like 'stale' food! They get it from their father's side of the family wink

doublecakeplease Mon 18-Feb-13 09:18:53

Had some money in my Papal account so just ordered that book (2.50 delivered - wow!) thanks for the recommendation!

pengymum Mon 18-Feb-13 09:20:35

Get your toddler to mix the batter - they do it very well for muffins! And will be good intro to cooking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now